Re: Mole News
by tribbo • Wed 21 Nov 2012 15:16

I have used very hot curry powder with great success.
You can buy a very large packet in the uk for around £3. I just carefully remove the mole hill to reveal the tunnel then i thread as much old garden hose as i can into the tunnel then attach the hose onto a watering can spout full of curried water and let it flow geently into the tunnel . Gently pull the hose out of the tunnel whilst the fluid is lining the length of the tunnel with curry solution.Then repeat on all tunnels. I found that after around 3 weeks i was moleless. :-)Its not cruel And its organic.
Follow below link for a laugh.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTF_0xsn5CM

tribbo
Jan 2005
by Annik • Wed 21 Nov 2012 16:00

I loved the Bernard Wrigley clip on YouTube and worked my way down all the ones that were available by him. Am now thinking of buying a CD. Thanks for introducing him to us. I don't know how I have missed hearing him before.

Annik

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. (Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.)" Groucho Marx
Annik
Jun 2007
by tribbo • Wed 21 Nov 2012 18:37

I have been a folk music lover all my life , and have seen Bernard perform many times in our local folk club. He's so funny live.

tribbo
Jan 2005
by virtdave • Sat 28 May 2016 23:36

Last year, on the advice of a French friend, I got some ricin flour and put it in any tunnels I found--with a lot of care to put it well down into the tunnel,to be sure it wasn't going to be eaten by my wonderful dog, nor by the neighbors' less wonderful (but quite dignified) cat. Whether it's the ricin, or the weather, or dumb luck, there are many fewer underground varmints this year than there were last year. I have, however, bagged one mole and one vole with my tricky Swiss trap.....

virtdave
Sep 2008
by edmoraz • Sun 29 May 2016 08:32

I think there seems to be a lot more mole hills this year and in places we never had them before one came up in between the cracks in the cobbles, now that must have been a squeeze.

edmoraz
Feb 2008
by Creusebear • Mon 24 Dec 2018 19:28

We've always had a few. Live and let live has always been my stand, and, to the amusement of our neighbour who offered to put down traps for us, I have even stated 'Je suis ami de la taupe!'
Arriving for our latest visit, the garden was so pockmarked with molehils it looked like someone had been mining! The neighbour was looking pretty smug! So I have bitten the bullet and have been instructed into the art of molecatching. So far Mole=0 - Creusebear=1. Neighbour says it was a whopper and has taken the corpse to skin and tan (an interest of his), and that it might be the only one! I can scarcely believe that one small rodent could be responsible for so many earthworks. 'Eh oui, elles sont bon travilleurs!' admits the neighbour, grudgingly.

Creusebear
May 2007
by rictel • Tue 25 Dec 2018 21:48

Well done, may i ask what method you used ?

rictel
Dec 2007
by Creusebear • Wed 26 Dec 2018 18:08

Neighbour used this style of trap. Chose freshest molehills, dug down to expose the tunnel. Set one trap in each direction and pinned them into place with a skewer. Left hole open but stuffed leaves into the passage way to block out the light. Set traps in around 6 holes. Checked daily. Said that holes near a wall are often signs of the main run and a good place to start. I was very surprised where the mole was caught as it was quite a distance from the majority of the molehills. Seemed a quick kill.

Creusebear
May 2007
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions