Re: Mole News
by Lynn • Tue 30 Aug 2011 15:48

It said in our book that in a good year, they can reach epidemic proportions and I think they must have had a good year last year.
It seems impossible to find mole-rat (Campagnol) poison in the shops but I think we have finally got on top of our huge numbers!!!! That said, they had half a row of carrots whilst I was away last week!! But I do still have some parsnips and they ate all of those last year.

Lynn
Apr 2008
by virtdave • Tue 30 Aug 2011 19:49

The only reliable way I found to grow root vegetables in California (where we have gophers, which are close enough to mole-rats for practical purposes) was to dig up the dirt, lay down chicken wire (is it called that in the UK?), and put back the dirt on top, surrounded by old railroad ties (these are available in California, but something similar must exist here). The resulting raised bed was gopher-proof, and the garden care quite pleasant.

virtdave
Sep 2008
by Annik • Wed 31 Aug 2011 14:34

That's interesting. We are going to put chicken wire across the bottom of our compost heap next year so that the moles can't burrow up into it and eat all our best worms - as they have this year.

Annik

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. (Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.)" Groucho Marx
Annik
Jun 2007
by alldown • Wed 31 Aug 2011 17:20

Chicken wire was first suggested by me on this thread in 2008 See I am right sometimes (not often) :)

PS it shows how sad I am a went back ober the thread to find the first postings

alldown
Sep 2005
by Annik • Wed 31 Aug 2011 22:07

Ah well, in 2008 our original boarded-in compost heap in the back garden was a mole-free zone. But they seem to have discovered the large new one in the potager, also boarded-in but not set on the solid granite that is under the other one. So please forgive me for not going back that far in the archives!!!!

Annik

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. (Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.)" Groucho Marx
Annik
Jun 2007
by lestroisours • Fri 14 Oct 2011 09:32

Body count - 16, that is 11 here and 5 at friends. I'm getting a bit good with the pièges. Usual within 24 hours, I get a result. This morning was a suprise as I had planted the pièges two days ago and there had been no activity since then, and no new mole hills. I checked the trap this morning and there was ex-mole. Sad but true.

lestroisours
Oct 2007
by redburmese • Fri 14 Oct 2011 21:01

My french barn cats have killed 7 moles in two years have no prob now 'think the moles know when thier beat' :woot: love the emoticons :woot: sorry but i hate traps or poison 'i know they can be a pain but i would allways try an alternative to these sorts of method :worthy: :no:

redburmese
Aug 2008
by lestroisours • Sat 15 Oct 2011 07:32

Another mole hill at the top of the garden yesterday evening, so in went the peiges. Result to follow.

lestroisours
Oct 2007
by virtdave • Mon 25 Jun 2012 16:55

Yet more pests--this time, it seems to be campagnols--they don't seem to form hills, but rather numerous nasty holes.. There seems to be an explosion of them this year, and I'm trotting out the usual weaponry.....will update successes and failures.

virtdave
Sep 2008
by virtdave • Thu 28 Jun 2012 09:26

I've so far (after three misses) nailed two of the little pests with my Détaupeur, but from what I read on the internet, they are enthusiastic reproducers, so we'll see. My successes came when I immediately jumped on new holes (they do deposit a small amount of molehill-like dirt when they're active). A French friend told me they are typically most active at the periphery of their territory.

virtdave
Sep 2008
by Lynn • Tue 10 Jul 2012 21:18

Yes, that is what I have found, you have to get the bomb in immediately you spot the little darling's hole!!! We did manage to kill one the other day when i saw the carrot leaves waving around as it was eating them and Tim despatched it with a spade! Sorry to any of you with sensitive natures.

Lynn
Apr 2008
by virtdave • Wed 11 Jul 2012 01:29

A few years ago there was a report of a method of attack on these critters involving sticking an iron rod into the earth near their tunnels and attaching a high-tension line to it. I can understand the impulse, but the result was not encouraging--the poor German who tried it was electrocuted. No word on whether it worked on the rat.

virtdave
Sep 2008
by virtdave • Sat 14 Jul 2012 09:30

Most recent success: a few days ago, after continuing to be plagued by campagnols, I sprung for one of these shockingly expensive Swiss gizmos. It was delivered quickly, and in two days I have bagged five of the varmints. Three in one tunnel! I ordered a 'groundcutter' at the same time (see Accessories on the linked page), which helps with putting the trap in precisely. No need for the 'searching rod', I just use a thin piece of iron rebar. Considerably safer than the high-tension wire approach, and seems more effective than other things I've tried. This year, at least where we are, is a huge year for campagnols.

virtdave
Sep 2008
by CaroleandClive • Tue 24 Jul 2012 10:25

On the subject of moles:

Does anyone have the number for a mole man/woman?

Have tried everything now and our whole garden is like a ploughed field to walk on (not good for elderly rellies).

So, altho I'm not happy about it, enough is enough.

Have looked at all posts on the subject elsewhere and know we are not alone, but...

please let me know
Thanks
Carole :tune:

CaroleandClive
Dec 2006
by CaroleandClive • Tue 24 Jul 2012 10:47

... now at wits end.

Whilst I was posting the previous a mole has come up under my newly planted Huchera. I've only put in four plants and one he/she's already dug up and disturbed.

please help.

I am about to nuke this one with a atomic flare, well you know those ones you get.

Carole

CaroleandClive
Dec 2006
by lestroisours • Tue 24 Jul 2012 21:59

They eat the slugs and snails so the rest of the huchera will be fine. Alternatively dig up some worms, roll them around in sugar and put them in the gallery.

Q. Does it do the trick?

R. No, but it sure rots their teeth! :rofl: :woot:

On a serious note, I am an expert, and we have had no moles now for 12 months, as I think I have eradicated the local population bar one. Persistence with the pièges, as painful and repetitive as they may be, you will succeed, as you will certainly only have one mole to start with. Get rid of one and another will replace it fairly quickly, but the 3rd and 4th will take a while to move in. In 5 years I have dispatched 16 here, and 7 elsewhere. Short of putting grillage under your grass you will never be entirely clear.

lestroisours
Oct 2007
by redburmese • Tue 24 Jul 2012 22:44

Yuk :no: still think cats are the answer '7 moles dead and no probs in 2 years and the mice they catch is unbelievable 'everyone to there own but i prefer green :angel:

redburmese
Aug 2008
by David_J • Thu 26 Jul 2012 15:19

Now then.
I was in the UK and had the opportunity to discuss mole control with a pest control operative. His best suggestion is to pour undiluted JEYES FLUID around the boundary of the land you wish to protect. This, with a bit of rain, will develop an underground barrier which the moles will not want to penetrate. I was assured that the result is a cheap and effective repulsif.
However, as ever with the law of SOD (or is it Murphy?) the converstaion took place the night prior to my departure back on the early am ferry so I had no opportunity to purchase any.
Does the team believe this will work?
David

David_J
Aug 2006
by virtdave • Thu 26 Jul 2012 18:31

Was the pest control guy talking about moles, or voles, or both? Moles are no problem for us, at least this year, but I've never seen so many campagnols (voles). I am having some success against them with my overpriced Swiss trap.

virtdave
Sep 2008
by David_J • Fri 27 Jul 2012 09:24

Moles for sure - and most things Swiss are overpriced!

David_J
Aug 2006
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions