Re: Mole News
by smilespwp • Fri 07 Nov 2008 12:39

Brilliant, Thanks for brightening up my day.

Best regards

Brian
smilespwp
Apr 2007
by jin13 • Thu 27 Nov 2008 22:14

Try this
Said dissid32
It sounds as if everyone has the same problem with moles!! But does anyone else also have water voles (arvicola terrestris sherman) that are using the mole tunnels to eat their vegetables from underneath? We have lost all our winter leeks and they are now eating the brussels as well. We only found out which particular 'animal' was doing the damage because the cat caught one!! So maybe the answer is to get more cats.

jin13
Oct 2008
by Lynn • Thu 27 Nov 2008 23:26

we have dormice that use the mole tunnels to move about and eat our veg, but no water voles as yet!
Lynn

Lynn
Apr 2008
by jin13 • Sat 29 Nov 2008 21:28

Hi Lynn,

Have you seen the doormice? And if so, do they eat your veg from under the ground? We were at a loss to know what was eating our veg and thought we had rats until the cat brought in a water vole and then did some research on the net and discovered that in Puy de Dome they are considered a pest and eat cereal crops using the mole runs.

Any info welcome as we may have more than one beastie!!!

Jinny

jin13
Oct 2008
by lestroisours • Sun 30 Nov 2008 09:41

Sadly resorting to pièges, of which the single scissor action type rather than the double pincer model is more efficacious,

3bears 3 - 0 Taupes

No I am not going to put little black stickers on the side of the car to keep score as was suggested by someone locally!!

“It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.” ~ Charles Darwin
lestroisours
Oct 2007
by Lynn • Sun 30 Nov 2008 20:43

Oh yes, I've seen them many times, blooming furry things with long tails!! They eat everything including my sideboard!!!
But I shall keep my eyes our for water voles too now!!
Lynn

Lynn
Apr 2008
Moles
by crendell • Thu 18 Feb 2010 10:40

We seem to have a serious mole problem in our garden. There are several moles we think. There are mole hills everywhere! Does anyone know of a quick, humain and effective way of getting rid of them?

crendell
Aug 2009
Re: Moles
by thetransporter • Thu 18 Feb 2010 11:24

"There's only one way to get a rid of a mole....."

(only Jasper Carrot fans will be able to complete the phrase!) :D

thetransporter
Jan 2008
by TournesolKate • Thu 18 Feb 2010 11:29

Moth balls work for me. put one or two down each molehill, right down in the tunnel, then pack the earth back in after them.

Sometimes the mole will push them back out again, but if you keep doing it he'll get fed up and go elsewhere.

TournesolKate
Oct 2008
by virtdave • Thu 18 Feb 2010 16:18

I have a placard in my barn with a large armamentarium of mole-discouraging and mole-destroying devices. I've not found the mothballs to work, but they're cheap and pretty non-toxic, so worth a try. I have tried gases, granules, poisoned worms, ultrasonic noisemakers,traps, and various weapons. The only really reliable way I've found is this German gun, sold in most large French hardware stores and large garden shops--the garden shop on the other side of the roundabout from the Briconautes at the Zone Industriel du Mont, at Aubusson, carries them, and the blank cartridges it needs. It must be positioned correctly in the mole's tunnel, and secured by passing a small stake through a loop on its handle. Try to let air, but not much light, pass by the device into the tunnel. Moles always have two tunnels to each molehill, and one has the choice of guessing in which tunnel the mole is lurking or, as I do, have a gun for each tunnel. The device fires a blank, and it's the explosion, not a ball, which does in the mole. Care must be taken not to put one's hand in the way of the business end of the device, and to keep it from discharging while placing it.
There is also a French anti-mole Improvised Explosive Device, an ingenious and somewhat flimsy apparatus triggered by a small plunger attached to a capacitor which ignites a sort of wired firecracker placed in the tunnel.
One mole can look like dozens, in terms of the tearing-up of one's yard.

virtdave
Sep 2008
by crendell • Thu 18 Feb 2010 18:19

Thanks for the advice, sounds like there is no easy way then. The Mole gun sounds interesting and perhaps a bit of fun!.... Although not for the mole
thanks

crendell
Aug 2009
by Creusebear • Thu 18 Feb 2010 19:27

virtdave - Reading your list of anti mole devices I think you may have a lot in common with Jasper Carrot! Here is an animated version of his famous (on this small island anyway) sketch. It still makes me laugh! Enjoy!

Creusebear
May 2007
by virtdave • Thu 18 Feb 2010 20:59

Very amusing Jasper Carrot clip. I'm of the 'blow their bloody heads off' school, the mole gun I linked above makes sitting up all night with one's 12-bore unnecessary.
Moles actually are insectivores, and the damage they do to one's garden is more aesthetic than anything else. However, there are similar burrowing rodents who enjoy a nice vegetable, like the rat-taupe.
If anyone is still interested, here is a link to the French IED. The comparison between the German mole gun and the French détaupeur provides an interesting view of national differences--the heavy artillery approach versus the ingenious tricky one. I have used a détaupeur also, and they do work, but the cost per dead mole is rather more. If you choose this route, do read the instructions carefully so as not to blow off a finger or two.

virtdave
Sep 2008
by Lynn • Thu 18 Feb 2010 21:32

I have found that the only thing that works is a trap, they only cost a few euros and then the things are gone for good, you can also catch the dreaded molerats (rat-taupe) with them, yay!!

Lynn
Apr 2008
by lestroisours • Thu 18 Feb 2010 22:43

If you at all squeamish do not read beyond this.
I have been very succesful with two pieges. I have trapped 5 moles and two ratte au pieds in my garden over the last 6 months. There will never be more than one at any time as they are fiercly territorial, including mating time. I have also killed two moles and a ratte au pied at a friends house.

Ridding yourself of the first mole will permit the next nearest to move in, and until you have rid yourself of three, you will not notice a reduction of activity. If you have a very wormy garden you will see a lot of activity and earthworms are a delicacy to moles.

Find the newest mole hill and clear the top of it, to find the entrance to the gallery which will be off to one side of the taupiniere. break through to the gallery and clear away the soil in the two directions. Place the two sprung traps one in each tunnel. It may be an idea to rub the traps in soil to eradicate human smell. Once the traps are in place, cover the whole gallery in twigs, and brushwood to eradicate light. Check the traps twice a day, as sometimes the moles are clever and will fill back the holes without triggering the traps. If they do, clear out the galleries, and reset the traps.
I have had a mole trigger the trap with its paw and pull the trap down the gallery for some way, before expiring in what must have been agony. If you are at odds with this, find a kinder method.

“It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.” ~ Charles Darwin
lestroisours
Oct 2007
by Lynn • Thu 18 Feb 2010 22:48

That's what we do, but we always wear gloves to try and mask the human smell too. I did have one mole that managed to trap itself round its waist so I had to dispatch it, not very pleasant but the only kind thing to do! Normally it's very quick and effective round their neck. You do need some strength to set the trap as the jaws of the trap are very strong.

Lynn
Apr 2008
by crendell • Fri 19 Feb 2010 11:10

Well, what can you say to that lot! The Jasper Carrot sketch was great, it's been a long time since we heard that. Although the french solution looks appealing. I quite fancy setting ied's all over the garden.
thanks for the advice, and the laughs
Regards

crendell
Aug 2009
by thewrights • Fri 19 Feb 2010 13:55

Thanks Creusebear for the Jasper Carrott sketch! Moles have driven my husband to distraction in a very similar way!!
We tried everything, before investing in the détaupeur explosive method. And this has honestly been the most successful for us - and quick from the mole's point of view! Hate killing anything - but the garden / veg. plot was really looking like the Somme a couple of years ago. No problems any more - whew!

"When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hang on." - Thomas Jefferson
thewrights
Oct 2007
by virtdave • Tue 30 Aug 2011 11:15

I have a cupboard (well, an armoire) full of anti-mole devices, including traps, poisons, IED's (both French and German). Formerly, I had little trouble discouraging moles, but this year I set the usual traps ten times without success. Then I realized I was not dealing with moles (taupes) but mole-rats (rat-taupes). Moles are not dangerous for your garden plants, tho they make a mess of ones lawn. But mole-rats will eat your plants from the roots, and are more trouble. The French company which makes the so-called Détaupeur, a battery-operated infernal machine which, when triggered by a mole, blows them up, also sell an add-on device which is designed for mole-rats, and it seemed to work for me.

virtdave
Sep 2008
by Annik • Tue 30 Aug 2011 12:58

A French friend of ours said there were 10,000 mole-rats per hectare which seems a lot to me; they must be standing on one another's shoulders...

Annik

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. (Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.)" Groucho Marx
Annik
Jun 2007
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions