Soft Fruits
by sally watkins • Sat 01 Apr 2017 21:11

Hi there,

I'm hoping to grow some soft fruits when I come over this summer. I'd like to try black currants, raspberries and gooseberries. I grow them at home here in the UK and I don't really take as good care of them as I should but they still fruit quite well, particularly the gooseberries.

Has anyone had any success with soft fruits and can you recommend a good nursery? I'm between Aubusson and Bourganeuf.

Thank you

Sally

sally watkins
Jul 2015
Re: Soft Fruits
by chrisell66 • Sun 02 Apr 2017 16:31

They all grow fine - probably need a bit of manure when you plant them but good.

You've missed the bargains - but any Garden Centre should have them in. The Gamme Vert raspberries seem to be very healthy - good root ball - but just pop into the garden centres and see what's there.

Summers not a great time for soft fruit planting - at least not if its hot and dry - the raspberries I moved in June are only just recovering now - they need watering a lot especially raspberries although pots shouldn't be as bad as transplanting them.

chrisell66
Jul 2016
by virtdave • Sun 02 Apr 2017 18:24

We stuck a dozen cuttings from a friend's redcurrant bush in the ground a few years ago--most of them did fine. It took me a while to figure out that the French word groseille is used for redcurrants and for what I've always called gooseberry. And 'cape gooseberry' is physalis edulis. If we get a warm and sunny summer, this physalis, an annual I've seen sold in markets, is definitely worth planting. The flower looks like a brownish version of Chinese lantern, but with a tasty golden fruit inside when ripe.

virtdave
Sep 2008
by sally watkins • Sun 02 Apr 2017 22:48

Thanks for the tips.

I'm hoping to plant in April and try to time another visit with a harvest. But expect it will be a year before the plants settle in and I get some fruit.

sally watkins
Jul 2015
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions