A miserable magnolia
by anne • Sun 09 Oct 2016 15:44

Help needed, please…I can’t recall what the magnolia looked like when we bought the house about 8 years ago, but it’s never thrived. We’re only here from time to time, and not keen or creative gardeners so our efforts are mostly control and maintenance, but all I read says that magnolia pretty much don’t need pruning so it’s probably evolved from a bush into a tree.

I think the problem is that this magnolia is a tree in the wrong place. It has leylandii (inherited!) on two sides and forces its way through them – we’ve taken one down to give it more space, but it will never have enough space. Can anyone advise? Or even come and take a saw to it? I think it may be beyond saving – and I can handle the shame and the guilt of that.

(I've tried attaching a picture but am struggling with a new Mac and/or slow connection and/or PontNoir limit on size - but can supply if helpful.)

Thanks for any help at all.
Anne

anne
Mar 2008
Re: A miserable magnolia
by Dave • Fri 11 Nov 2016 09:25

I expect the magnolia, squished as it was between the two leylandii will look a bit strange and you might find that now it has less competition for space, light and water it'll pick up and bush out after a bit.

The leylandii will take all the space and all the water so if you want the magnolia to really thrive the other leylandii will probably also need to go.

Dave
Administrator
Aug 2004
Re: A miserable magnolia
by anne • Fri 11 Nov 2016 10:18

Thanks, Dave. I think you're right. I've hacked away at it. It will either be the cure, or be a quick death rather than the slow suicide it's committing. Cheers, Anne

anne
Mar 2008
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions