Herb Garden
by cmchsmjm • Mon 29 Aug 2016 18:50

I would like to create a herb garden but I do not have a green thumb, finger or toe!!

My main concern is not being around to water any plant/herbs I plant. Any advice?

There is a large cast iron tub at the front of our house. Could this be utilised as a starter?

Attachments
Pot.jpg
cmchsmjm
Jan 2010
Re: Herb Garden
by virtdave • Mon 29 Aug 2016 23:56

Though all plants need water, some are relatively drought-tolerant; for instance, rosemary, chives, sage, thyme and bay laurel are all perennials, and if the winter isn't too hard will likely survive with only occasional water, if they get a good start. Tarragon is a bit more frost-tender, but ours made it through the last rather mild winter. Mint will likewise thrive, but may have to be controlled or it can take over your garden. I use something like this automatic timer, with some drip tubing downstream, for many plants--but it won't take freezing, so must be brought in during the winter.

virtdave
Sep 2008
by Freezerbill • Tue 30 Aug 2016 11:44

You can water whilst away with a water bottle upside down with a little hole in it, the water will drip out slowly keeping it topped up

Freezerbill
Mar 2014
by virtdave • Tue 30 Aug 2016 12:37

That's a very good and low-tech watering option--of course, one is limited by the length of time it takes for the water in the bottle to seep away.
I noticed in the original post above that perhaps a small garden in a pot was under consideration....if you're going to be away, I'd not recommend that. If you mix a sack of terreau to the local soil (which is pretty low in organic matter here), you'll do better with the plants in the ground.

virtdave
Sep 2008
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions