Woodland
by Ted • Wed 25 May 2016 22:08

Hi all,

This is my first post on the Forum so please be gentle with me. I have recently purchased a parcel of land near Ahun. I have about an acre of mature woodland, mainly Pine. This woodland has sadly been neglected and I would like to thin it out and remove completely about a third of it. I would like some advice on the best way to go about it, firstly do I need permission to fell any tree's on my property? Is the timber of any value and if so would someone be prepared to fell the tree's and remove from site without charging me for the privilege of doing it?

Thank you for viewing my post.

Ted
May 2016
Re: Woodland
by rictel • Thu 26 May 2016 20:37

Hi Ted,

Welcome to the forum, I think you'll find we're all gentle folk here :)

Not an expert on the subject but as far as I know ( I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong ) I don't think you will need permission to thin out the trees, there seems to be a mass " tree cull" every year from about November onwards & I'm sure our locals don't seek permission. Yes it will have a value as firewood although it will need to be logged & stood for 2years before use . At one time there were people who would cut & clear trees in exchange for the wood , probably best to have a word with the local residents.

There is an English tree surgeon in the area who could give you advice , I will pass on his details if it would help?

rictel
Dec 2007
by edmoraz • Fri 27 May 2016 20:41

Hi I agree you do not need permissions to cut your own trees another option I have heard about is you pay a tree cutter who charges about €250 a day but cuts your trees from dawn till dusk or until you say stop,

edmoraz
Feb 2008
by RobertArthur • Sat 28 May 2016 09:33

This is the first time that I (try to) answer a question in the gardening section, so this is not an expert speaking. But what I do know is that there are regs for everything in France. Having read the information on the website "Doit-finances" (sample letter included) I think it would not be a bad idea to ask your local mairie about the procedures. For the commercial forestiers there are a lot of regs, I suppose that in your case there will only be a simple notification procedure.

RobertArthur
Mar 2009
by Ted • Tue 31 May 2016 15:15

Hi everyone ,
Thanks for your prompt replies , it had occurred to me to contact the local Marie as they appear to be a good source of information , I quite like the idea of employing a tree surgeon for the day and tidying away all the timber afterwards , I suppose I would need to find someone local to do that so if anyone has the contact details I would appreciate them .

Ted
May 2016
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions