New hedge for 2016
by Creusebear • Sat 02 Jan 2016 18:17

So, new year, new plans. I am looking forward to our next visit to the Creuse, we have recently acquired an extra slice of garden (I know, I know, not very practical but it was a 'coup de coeur') so I am planning what to do with it. The existing hedge (20m)is a mix of brambles and chestnut, I'd like to have a mix that will take an annual walloping from the hedging tool on the tractor but would give a range of colour through the seasons and even some edible crops too. Plants I have thought of: elderflower, forsythia, blackcurrant, hops as well as keeping the existing chestnut. Any other suggestions of what would thrive under a neglectful gardener's care welcomed!

Creusebear
May 2007
Re: New hedge for 2016
by Dave • Mon 04 Jan 2016 10:22

Don't forget blackthorn (esp. if you like sloes). I also like a bit of holly or yew to give winter colour and berries for the birds although you might need to be careful with yew if you have kids or animals that might eat it. Hazelnut is also a good choice and also perhaps a rose variety with hips.

Dave
Administrator
Aug 2004
by ayerzee • Wed 06 Jan 2016 00:26

Hi, not sure if this is any help but we planted a new hedge around 2 years ago using bare rooted whips supplied from a company in the UK called Pomona Fruits (pomonafruits.co.uk). We had the plants delivered to our UK house and we transported them over one cold December. We picked the worst week to be working outside but we didn't loose a plant and now the hedge is slowly maturing.
Pomona will advise you on the choice of hedging, every plant we used will provide a source of food at some time of the year.
As Dave suggests Blackthorn is usually a good hedging material but we have had little success, it may be the location of our plot but it seems to be very slow growing. A shame for us as we produce approx. 10 litres/yr. of sloe gin.
If I remember correctly we used rosa rugsa,guilda rose, cornelian cherry, cherry plumb, sea buckthorne and some others who's name escapes me but Pomona fruits will fill all the gaps. (pun not intended)
Hope that helps

ayerzee
Sep 2007
by Creusebear • Thu 07 Jan 2016 22:44

Thank you both! Some really good suggestions. I shall start a shopping list!

Creusebear
May 2007
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions