Over-wintering geraniums when we aren't here
by Annik • Thu 10 Sep 2015 20:12

We have had some really nice geraniums this year and it seems a shame that they should just be left to die after we've gone back to England for the winter. I have looked at various ways of over-wintering them, but these all seem to involve doing vital things in January and February when we aren't here. We come over just before Easter each year, all being well. In the past we have put them in the cellar (average temperature all year round, 8C) wrapped up in newspaper but they all died. Another time our neighbours took some cuttings that I had planted out but it was the year when temperatures plummeted and although the plants were in their hallway, it got so cold so quickly that they all died overnight. We have a new greenhouse - can we utilise that? All suggestions very gratefully received.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. (Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.)" Groucho Marx
Annik
Jun 2007
Re: Over-wintering geraniums when we aren't here
by edmoraz • Thu 10 Sep 2015 21:21

The oh informs me they will be ok in the greenhouse providing you can keep it above freezing. Can you not take them home with you and bring them back at Easter we often do this.

edmoraz
Feb 2008
by Annik • Thu 10 Sep 2015 22:18

Thanks very much for the suggestion. We can't take them home (with the sacks of potatoes and onions) because while we might have enough room in the Galaxy on the way back to England, we certainly wouldn't on the way back over here! After 21 years you would really think there isn't anything else we need, but no...

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. (Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.)" Groucho Marx
Annik
Jun 2007
by rictel • Fri 11 Sep 2015 10:42

Last year we put our Geraniums into an outbuilding, which is generally frost-free but with some natural light through the window, & just left them. After the last frosts in the spring we brought them out & they looked a bit sad but trimmed them up a bit , topped up with new compost & some granular feed & they've put on a really great show all summer. Admittedly it wasn't a severe winter but we'll try the same again this year.

Not sure how they would fare in an unheated greenhouse, maybe if you covered them with loads of fleece, but I suppose it depends on how cold it gets this year. Could you leave them potted up in your house over winter & move them out in the Spring ?

rictel
Dec 2007
by Annik • Fri 11 Sep 2015 12:13

Thank you, we will try putting them in the bathroom, which has a frost-stat on during the winter, and see what happens. I gather the weather pundits are predicting a particularly hard winter this year, so the unheated greenhouse might not be an option. We shall see!

Annik
Jun 2007
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions