Constructing greenhouse
by Annik • Sun 31 May 2015 18:19

We have the misfortune to be constructing a greenhouse whose original presumably Chinese instructions have been "translated" into English, French, German and Italian. Fortunately the engineering drawings are fairly helpful.

However we now want to install the polycarbonate panes of "glass". As delivered each sheet has one side covered with an opaque plastic film and the other with a transparent plastic film, which you eventually strip off. One side of each sheet has been treated with a UV coating to protect it and it is obviously very important that this side faces the sun. But which? Roughly half the instructions say that it is the opaque side while the rest say it is the transparent side. There is one mention in the booklet of instructions and two in a sheet which has been added as an afterthought. There is no consistency whatever in these statements, so you can have two opaques and a transparent in one language and two transparents and an opaque in another, and three opaques in another and ... well, you get the picture.

Please - does anyone know?

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. (Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.)" Groucho Marx
Annik
Jun 2007
Re: Constructing greenhouse
by Robjelves • Sun 31 May 2015 18:41

Had a quick search on the web. Found this thread and an extract from it.. Not an easy one to answer!

http://forums.gardenweb.com/discussions ... uv-coating

I'm putting up a commercial greenhouse right now. New sheets of polycarbonate have a blue plastic film over the UV treated side. Coincidentally (?) I've found that this blue coloring is also visible after the film is removed.
We simply view the cut end of the sheet, and the 'outside' edge is tinted blue.

Robjelves
Dec 2013
by Annik • Sun 31 May 2015 20:26

Thank you very much indeed!

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. (Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.)" Groucho Marx
Annik
Jun 2007
by Jeanne • Tue 02 Jun 2015 13:40

I wasn't aware until recently that you have to notify the Mairie when you put up a greenhouse/polytunnel as they like to tax it.

Jeanne
Jun 2010
by Annik • Tue 02 Jun 2015 14:59

That's interesting! We actually got the greenhouse kit last year but it took so long to arrive after being ordered that it was midsummer and we didn't need it! Other priorities intervened and we didn't get round to erecting it until just now. We told the maire, and gave her a sketch plan of the garden before we bought it last year and she said it was OK. She said she regarded it as not being a permanent building. It isn't very large - 8ft x 6ft. Maybe the rules apply to bigger ones.

Annik
Jun 2007
by Jeanne • Tue 02 Jun 2015 19:24

I tried searching for the actual rules but the only thing I could find on a French forum was that it increased your tax fonciere if it was more than 20m2. However, if you look at the extract below, my interpretation is that it has to be of a more permanent structure, which I don't think a polytunnel/greenhouse is. I will be happy for someone to correct my translation of it, but certainly I think they are looking more to get tax from farmers. Just put up a polytunnel myself but forgot to ask the Maire at the Fête Patronale. I will probably mention it next time I see him but I expect his answer will be the same as yours.

"310

Les serres qui ne sont pas utilisées pour les besoins d'une exploitation agricole (serres d'agrément) sont soumises à la taxe foncière sur les propriétés bâties, lorsqu'elles présentent le caractère d'un véritable bâtiment.

Les autres serres sont exonérées de taxe foncière sur les propriétés bâties, en vertu de l'article 1382-6° du CGI, mais les terrains qu'elles recouvrent sont passibles de la taxe foncière sur les propriétés non bâties dans le groupe correspondant à la nature de la culture en vertu de l'article 1393 du CGI.

Il en est ainsi des serres agricoles où la culture s'effectue dans des pots ou des cadres isolés du sol."

Jeanne
Jun 2010
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions