What's the best way to store pears
by edmoraz • Mon 08 Sep 2014 11:02

My pear tree is full of beautiful pears this year and I was wondering how everyone stored or preserved theirs. As they ripen off the tree I have never manager to store the whole fruit but they are delicious while they last.

edmoraz
Feb 2008
Re: What's the best way to store pears
by Dave • Mon 08 Sep 2014 11:38

We preserve them either as various types of jam, including a very soft set one with big bits or bottled fruit (pealed and cored). The jams last two or more years and the bottle fruit has lasted up to a year (but may do longer). We have also frozen the pear pieces instead with also works well, although mostly for hot puddings.

We did try a couple of times to keep the pears whole in trays wrapped in paper and stored in a dry cool dark place. This is somewhat successful but it is difficult to find fruit that has not been attacked or bruised in some way and if you miss something the pear will rot quickly and pass this on to its neighbours. There are only so many pears you can eat fresh before you yearn for a banana or even a apple.

We also tried pressing them for juice, but our variety is very hard and this doesn't seem to work very well. I'm told that I should mash and mangle them into pulp first so might try again this year. I'd love to make pear cider.

We also have a heavy crop this year.

Dave
Administrator
Aug 2004
Re: What's the best way to store pears
by edmoraz • Thu 11 Sep 2014 17:48

Thanks for that Dave, I think I will freeze most of mine for hot puds later in the year.

edmoraz
Feb 2008
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions