slugs and snail
by edmoraz • Thu 09 Jan 2014 14:35

According to the news last year was a bad year for slugs and snails, ie if were a slug or a snail it was not your year. Having said that, now is a good time to catch the little critters over wintering in your stacked up plant pots, behind bushy shrubs on walls etc. I had some pots stacked and found twelve snails in one six inch pot.Act now and save youself a load of grief when it warms up.

edmoraz
Feb 2008
Re: slugs and snail
by Robjelves • Fri 10 Jan 2014 11:50

We have a great snail catcher! Our french neighbour loves them and can often be seen bucket in hand during the early mornings.
Anyone tried them?

Robjelves
Dec 2013
by edmoraz • Fri 10 Jan 2014 16:19

I have tried them and they are ok with the garlic butter on them, the struggle to get them out of the shell is half the fun, just like a chewy mushroom when you eventually get them out. Dont know what they would be like unflavoured so to speak.
I believe you have to purge them before you eat them.

edmoraz
Feb 2008
by Robjelves • Fri 10 Jan 2014 22:12

We had a great time last summer. We had a get together with the six houses in our hamlet, we are the only English the rest French.
Joe who speaks no English,through one of the others who speaks better English than our french, explained the full process of preparing snails. It was very informative and I dare say some time soon we will be presented with the finished article to try. I am not a lover of shell fish so not looking forward to it, but will have to give it a go as not to offend them.

Robjelves
Dec 2013
by virtdave • Sat 11 Jan 2014 10:44

Unfortunately, I know of no recipes for the banana slug, which can get impressively large. As you can see, they are the mascot of UC Santa Cruz.

Attachments
images.jpeg bslug.jpeg
virtdave
Sep 2008
by Robjelves • Sat 11 Jan 2014 12:03

Wouldn't say unfortunately more like fortunately!!

Robjelves
Dec 2013
by edmoraz • Sat 11 Jan 2014 12:06

8O 8O You could always hitch them to a plough and plough a veg plot for them to live in .;-)

edmoraz
Feb 2008
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions