What veg are you growing?
by Dave • Mon 03 Jun 2013 16:22

This year we have:-

potatoes, peas, onions, broad and dwarf beans, pumpkins, watermelon, sweetcorn and sunflowers.

What are you growing?

Dave
Administrator
Aug 2004
Re: What veg are you growing?
by Sevy • Mon 03 Jun 2013 18:09

We are managing to keep artichokes, lettuce, beetroot and chard going. We have cherries, strawberries and currants of all colours. Our place is a holiday home but these seem to do ok with little care. We have to be lucky to enjoy any of the fruit but the birds love them and it is fun to grow it anyway. The neighbours must think we are mad.
Sevy

Sevy
Mar 2007
by Dave • Tue 04 Jun 2013 10:28

Chard and beetroot sound good. I might try them. Did you just sow the seeds outdoors or get them started first?

We also have berries and fruits but they look after themselves.

Dave
Administrator
Aug 2004
by virtdave • Tue 04 Jun 2013 12:45

I've planted tomatoes, which survived the snow (in tents) and basil, the latter three times, it has crumped three times due to chill. Will try again. As (I think) Samuel Johnson commented wrt second marriages, it's the triumph of hope over experience....

Otherwise mostly flowers and other herbs.

virtdave
Sep 2008
by Sevy • Tue 04 Jun 2013 18:18

Dave
I just sow them straight into ground and hope for the best.
Sevy

Sevy
Mar 2007
by Annik • Tue 04 Jun 2013 23:30

In the garden at the moment, we have got tomatoes, green peppers, potatoes, onions, garlic (from last year), sweet corn, strawberries, dwarf beans, runner beans, beetroot, carrots, radishes, an aubergine, courgettes, melons (but they probably won't survive, half of them died in their pots) and chop suey (an experiment, they're green thingies). We haven't planted out the rhubarb yet, or the spinach or Swiss chard - which we really like. They are still in the greenhouse at night but get daily exposure to fresh air and rain. We have planted some strips of come-again lettuces in long planters but they haven't germinated yet.

The black currants and red currants look promising, as do the raspberries. We have got some fruit on the gooseberries but I don't know why we grow them because I hate gooseberries. The OH likes them, though, if I remember to harvest them.

I like a bit of colour to brighten up the grey granite house; the poor old geraniums for the window boxes haven't grown much since we bought them as seedlings, though the petunias in planters for the front and the terrace are up and running.

Fingers crossed...

Annik

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. (Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.)" Groucho Marx
Annik
Jun 2007
by JulieR • Fri 07 Jun 2013 18:35

potatoes, onions, carrots, green and red cabbage, leeks, beetroot, sweetcorn, peppers, romanesco, brocoli, celery, lettuce, mixed salad leaves, aubergines, BNS and courgettes.....mostly grown from seed and still tiny...BNS and Courgettes not come through so will prob go and buy some established plants from the market...
plus
chilli and tomatoes under cover
Julie

JulieR
May 2005
by virtdave • Sat 08 Jun 2013 09:54

The main reason I grow only flowers and herbs (and tomatoes) here is that we have a generous neighbor whose family has been gardening here for several centuries....back in the USA I had a sizable jardin potager, and I found courgettes (i.e., zucchini--marrows I think, to you lot) pretty easy. In fact, when they were ready to harvest I had to sneakily leave them on neighbors' porches. I think there's a Zucchini cookbook, and I do make a tasty zucchini-based cake.....

virtdave
Sep 2008
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions