Planting stuff outside: OK or not?
by Annik • Mon 13 May 2013 19:56

I think today is the last day of the notorious Saintes de Glaces" when newly-planted plants can get frosted. I have got a greenhouse full of stuff that is clamouring to be planted in the potager but I don't know whether, because Spring is so late, the "Saintes de Glaces" have metaphorically moved on a week or two. Help, please, you gardening experts!

Annik

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. (Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.)" Groucho Marx
Annik
Jun 2007
Re: Planting stuff outside: OK or not?
by Dave • Tue 14 May 2013 16:48

I planted stuff outside weeks ago (no Greenhouse anyway).

I would say that if the soil is warm and the patch sheltered from cold winds it should be fine even with the odd sub-zero night, unless you are planting something delicate.

If you are worried harden them off a bit first during the day and put them back inside at night; get them in soon so they can grow!

Dave
Administrator
Aug 2004
by SIMON • Tue 14 May 2013 17:30

Just to let you know, i watched the BBC weather forecast for the next few weeks, the jet stream will be sitting over central France bringing the warm moist air from the Caribbean. The UK will be getting three or four weeks of very cold dry air coming from Siberia and to make things worse the North Sea is 3degrees colder than it should be for this time of year.

So planting anything outside should be ok as there is warm weather due in central France.

SIMON
Jan 2013
by virtdave • Tue 14 May 2013 21:12

I just put out my tomato plants, but I covered them with plastic tents. I check the weather forecasts pretty compulsively, and at least for St-Georges-Nigremont we're promised some dismal weather for a couple of weeks, tho probably no frost. This afternoon was glorious, got lots of garden stuff done.

virtdave
Sep 2008
by Pamski • Wed 15 May 2013 15:50

Having been caught out several times by late frosts, we now just watch what our neighbours do. When Eliane puts out her geraniums, then we reckon it's OK! (Seriously though, it does depend on altitude too. We're 750m up here and get frosts when lower places are fine).

Pamski
Sep 2011
by virtdave • Thu 16 May 2013 13:53

It actually seems more likely that frost will hit down by the Rozeille than up where we are, some 40 meters higher, according to our farmer neighbors down there. In any case, apparently tonite (Thursday/Friday) may have the lowest temperatures of the month, so cover up your new plants now.

virtdave
Sep 2008
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions