Wisteria seeds
by Annik • Thu 24 May 2012 00:16

Does anyone know what to do with wisteria seeds? I read on a gardening website that you could put them between damp sheets of kitchen paper, seal them in a freezer bag and leave them in a warm place in order for them to germinate. I have done this but all I have is some unpleasant red mould spreading over the paper and seeds that have not germinated at all!

Annik

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. (Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.)" Groucho Marx
Annik
Jun 2007
Re: Wisteria seeds
by virtdave • Thu 24 May 2012 02:04

Those seed pods are numerous, and look like they must be good for something, but look here.. I understand the attraction of trying to grow something from seed, perhaps especially if it's difficult--I spent years trying to grow the Himalayan blue poppy, meconopsis, from seed, and never did succeed--but the linked article suggests root layering for propagation, since plants grown from seed may take ten years to flower, and not come true from the parent plant.

virtdave
Sep 2008
by pili-pala • Thu 24 May 2012 08:20

Hi Annik,
I have tried unsuccessfully to grow Wisteria from both cuttings and seeds. I have just received my 3rd attempt from friends who have a well established tree.
Last year I planted 6 seeds, I soaked them in warm water for a day, then planted them in compost in a warm dry place- many many weeks later 1 germinated but none of the others. It seemed to be doing well up till late autumn then my mistake I left it out instead of bringing it into a cold frame. It has done nothing this year so I'm guessing it's dead. The 2nd attempt was from cuttings- two took, one very well but as I left these two pots out over winter these are dead too! The lesson here was to not leave them outside over winter especially when you have a cold spell like in Feb.
The batch I have got now, are cuttings with roots on so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Like what Virtdave said and I had read that to grow from seeds is a very slow and long process, they won't flower for many year and that cuttings are a better option.
I shall keep fingers crossed- Wisteria does look so amazing so it's worth the hassle.

Is it "la" or is it "le"?
pili-pala
Apr 2010
by Creusebear • Thu 24 May 2012 08:38

I bought mine from a shop :oops:

Creusebear
May 2007
by dissid32 • Thu 24 May 2012 11:09

He said in a very small voice.

Patrick
dissid32
Feb 2006
by Annik • Thu 24 May 2012 12:23

We've actually got a wisteria that we bought years ago and it took a very long time to do anything. But some friends have lost theirs due to the bad weather and we thought we might be able to help by giving them a baby one that we'd germinated and grown. However from what you all say, they would probably be better off just buying another!

Annik

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. (Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.)" Groucho Marx
Annik
Jun 2007
by virtdave • Thu 24 May 2012 14:49

Yes, even when purchased commercially, wisterias can take a long time to flower--but once established, they have to be ferociously pruned every autumn, or they can tear down a building. They usually are pretty cold-resistant, but last year was a real challenge for them. Folks living just a few hundred yards downhill from us had all their blossoms freeze, and ours, which usually is almost finished by the end of May, is just starting to flower.

virtdave
Sep 2008
by dissid32 • Sat 26 May 2012 13:36

I've just discovered several seedlings in the borders, which obviously seeded themselves, so maybe the answer is to treat them roughly. They are spread over quite a wide area, so I guess when the pods explode they project the seeds a fair distance. Now I have to decide whether to pull them up, or let them grow. If they are going to take ten years to flower I may as well pull them up.

Patrick
dissid32
Feb 2006
by Annik • Mon 11 Jun 2012 09:26

After three weeks I looked at those wisteria seeds I left in plastic bags on the bathroom windowsill, with a view to chucking them away, and found that four out of about 15 had germinated! I have put them in little plots and now wait to see what happens next.

Annik

PS: I am not holding my breath, in view of the correspondence above.

Annik
Jun 2007
by virtdave • Mon 11 Jun 2012 18:42

As I noted above, our wisteria did survive last winter...it took about five years to flower, and was originally from a plant, not a seed. So, if you do grow one from seed, be very patient.

cimg0036.jpg

virtdave
Sep 2008
by Annik • Mon 11 Jun 2012 23:54

Wow - yours are beautiful! Ours have a very delicate colour, shading from purple to almost white. The flowers come out before the leaves while those next door do both at the same time.

Annik

Annik
Jun 2007
by edmoraz • Wed 13 Jun 2012 09:38

Ours flower and leaf at the same time too and are deep purple fading to white flowers. For anyone in UK aldi are selling quite large plants from Sunday for £9.99.

edmoraz
Feb 2008
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions