Gardening Help
by Siptea • Fri 20 Apr 2012 13:39

Hello,

If someone knows of a person who does light gardening work can you please inbox me. I need the front yard mowed and vegetable patch prepared to plant in (weeded and tilled, etc). They do not have to speak perfect English. I have checked with a few English places and their prices are a bit steep for our budget at this time.

Thank you for any advice

Siptea
Jul 2010
Re: Gardeing Help
by virtdave • Fri 20 Apr 2012 14:15

you might ask informally at the mairie, best not from M. le maire himself but from a secretary....One doesn't want to become enmeshed in the gears of Official Hiring Practices. We've found a bright kid or two to help out with yard and house projects for a reasonable rate.

virtdave
Sep 2008
by Siptea • Fri 20 Apr 2012 15:34

you might ask informally at the mairie, best not from M. le maire himself but from a secretary....One doesn't want to become enmeshed in the gears of Official Hiring Practices. We've found a bright kid or two to help out with yard and house projects for a reasonable rate.
Said virtdave
There are some flyers at the town hall but I do not know near enough French yet to talk about it on the phone and make an appt. I was hoping for someone who speaks a little English and we can get by once they're here.

Siptea
Jul 2010
by Creusebear • Fri 20 Apr 2012 16:04

Could you ask one of your neighbours if they know anyone?

Creusebear
May 2007
by Siptea • Fri 20 Apr 2012 17:20

Could you ask one of your neighbours if they know anyone?
Said Creusebear
I did ask a neighbor but they do all of the work themselves on their property. I have arthritis and am limited.

Siptea
Jul 2010
by Creusebear • Fri 20 Apr 2012 19:12

There is bound to be someone in the area - it's just a matter of getting the message out there.
How about (if you are not confident with the language yet) writing what you need on a bit of paper then you can show it to your neighbours, the postie, and anyone else who comes by.
eg
J'ai besoin d'un jardinier. Connaissez-vous quelqu'un qui peut m'aider?

Creusebear
May 2007
by Siptea • Fri 20 Apr 2012 19:54

There is bound to be someone in the area - it's just a matter of getting the message out there.
How about (if you are not confident with the language yet) writing what you need on a bit of paper then you can show it to your neighbours, the postie, and anyone else who comes by.
eg
Said Creusebear
The problem is not asking for help, it's communicating with the gardener on the phone once I find them. I have seen several flyers here and there for gardening help, that's not the problem. I need someone I can speak at least some English on the phone with in order to discuss prices, explain what needs to be done on the yard and make an appointment. I know they will ask me for details and I am not able to understand spoken French on the phone. I was hoping that someone in the Creuse knew of a gardening company that helps expats.

What is a postie? The only thing that comes to mind is a postie note like you stick on your computer lol

Siptea
Jul 2010
by Siptea • Fri 20 Apr 2012 20:01

eg
Said Creusebear
The problem is not asking for help, it's communicating with the gardener on the phone once I find them. I have seen several flyers here and there for gardening help, that's not the problem. I need someone I can speak at least some English on the phone with in order to discuss prices, explain what needs to be done on the yard and make an appointment. I know they will ask me for details and I am not able to understand spoken French on the phone. I was hoping that someone in the Creuse knew of a gardening company that helps expats.

What is a postie? The only thing that comes to mind is a postie note like you stick on your computer lol
Said Siptea
Haha I googled postie and saw that it is slang for mailman, question answered :)

Siptea
Jul 2010
by Creusebear • Fri 20 Apr 2012 20:30

I understand the problem with speaking on the phone, always brings me out in a sweat.

I thought that if you had a recommendation from a local they may be able to send them round. Face to face with wild sign language is so much easier.

Sorry, I don't know if it would work where you are but a couple of times I have mentioned to a neighbour that I was looking for 'x' only for a man to turn up a few days later saying 'Your neighbour mentioned ..."

Creusebear
May 2007
by Siptea • Sat 21 Apr 2012 09:35

I understand the problem with speaking on the phone, always brings me out in a sweat.

I thought that if you had a recommendation from a local they may be able to send them round. Face to face with wild sign language is so much easier.

Sorry, I don't know if it would work where you are but a couple of times I have mentioned to a neighbour that I was looking for 'x' only for a man to turn up a few days later saying 'Your neighbour mentioned ..."
Said Creusebear
We've only lived here a few months, I'm sure things will fall into place over time but yes for now the whole phone thing is scary!

Hopefully someone reading this will know of a reasonably priced person or company who does lawn mowing and gardening.

Siptea
Jul 2010
by Annik • Sat 21 Apr 2012 10:48

Hi Siptea
If you look in the Pontnoir Directory (click on the top line of the home page) and go to Gardening, you will find someone English or English-speaking in St Pardoux, which is not far from you. I don't know anything about them, though.
Annik

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. (Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.)" Groucho Marx
Annik
Jun 2007
by dissid32 • Sat 21 Apr 2012 11:35

Just to add my twopennyworth. It seems to me that, to a certain extent it may depend on what you think of as reasonably priced. A frenchman local to me charges 15€/hour. An englishman local to me charges 12,50€/hour on the cheque emploi scheme, so I imgine that the employer (you) would end up paying 15€ or more by the time you've added in the insurance. I believe that the minimum wage is about 9-10€, but on top of that employers would have to pay insurance etc. Are these sorts of figures greatly out of line with what you have been quoted? If not, maybe you would think about going with one of the people you have found. Don't forget that (I imagine) they will supply all the equipment (mowers etc) and transport them to your home.
Other than asking around (already suggested), the only other suggestion I have is that if there are any shops local to you that have small-adds posted somewhere in them, you could study those. My local Intermarche has them, as does a small Briconautes. Also make sure you know the key words for what you want to have done, eg tonder=to mow etc. My French is pretty bad, but I've usually found that if I get the key words in there somehow, I can eventually make myself understood.
Bon courage!

P.S. I find www.reverso.net very useful for looking-up translations.

Patrick
dissid32
Feb 2006
by Siptea • Sat 21 Apr 2012 12:03

Hi Siptea
If you look in the Pontnoir Directory (click on the top line of the home page) and go to Gardening, you will find someone English or English-speaking in St Pardoux, which is not far from you. I don't know anything about them, though.
Annik
Said Annik
Thank you Annick, I didn't know about the directory. I called that number in St. Pardoux and it is not working, that's a pity. I'll try the other ones and see if they travel.

Barbi

Siptea
Jul 2010
by Siptea • Sat 21 Apr 2012 12:10

Just to add my twopennyworth. It seems to me that, to a certain extent it may depend on what you think of as reasonably priced. A frenchman local to me charges 15€/hour. An englishman local to me charges 12,50€/hour on the cheque emploi scheme, so I imgine that the employer (you) would end up paying 15€ or more by the time you've added in the insurance. I believe that the minimum wage is about 9-10€, but on top of that employers would have to pay insurance etc. Are these sorts of figures greatly out of line with what you have been quoted? If not, maybe you would think about going with one of the people you have found. Don't forget that (I imagine) they will supply all the equipment (mowers etc) and transport them to your home.
Other than asking around (already suggested), the only other suggestion I have is that if there are any shops local to you that have small-adds posted somewhere in them, you could study those. My local Intermarche has them, as does a small Briconautes. Also make sure you know the key words for what you want to have done, eg tonder=to mow etc. My french is pretty bad, but I've usually found that if I get the key words in there somehow, I can eventually make myself understood.
Bon courage!
Said dissid32
Thank you Patrick, for me the hardest part is knowing what is being said to me, I can prepare some words in advance and read them out but when they respond, they talk really fast and I get so frazzled! I cannot understand spoken French, even the words I know get thrown together and lost to me, plus I have a hearing problem to make it worse. I wish I had exposure to the French language over my lifetime but only Spanish.

I have seen several ads for gardening help as I said previously but this phone thing is scary for me.

I was quoted 180 euros per day of work by the English people that I talked to and it will take about 3 days per their estimate, and that's more than we can pay at this time. Maybe that is normal here but just not in our budget.

Barbi

Siptea
Jul 2010
by Siptea • Sat 21 Apr 2012 12:24

My husband found someone on the internet, English speaker and reasonably priced per what you said above. I will try him out and if he's good then I can then recommend people to him as well.

Thanks everyone for your input

Siptea
Jul 2010
by dissid32 • Sat 21 Apr 2012 12:37

Yes, it soon adds up, doesn't it? You seem to be a bit stuck, really. You have my sympathy, but I can't think of any practical solution, I'm afraid.

Patrick
dissid32
Feb 2006
by dissid32 • Sat 21 Apr 2012 12:39

Well done! My last message redundant.

Patrick
dissid32
Feb 2006
by Siptea • Sat 21 Apr 2012 14:00

Well done! My last message redundant.
Said dissid32
Your message was very helpful BTW, Patrick. I needed an idea of what a reasonable price was, and you gave me an idea. Now I know that the other quote was too much :)

Siptea
Jul 2010
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions