The powers that be want to cut down the tree's?
by beetle • Fri 09 Mar 2012 16:54
No problem with that !
But there are six spruce and one very mature oak tree.
I assume the cost of cutting down will come out of their pocket, but will they remove the timber? and if so, the oak must certainly have some value attached to it.
I expect you want to know the why? - new power line being installed.
Any advice would be most appreciated
If you never find what you seek, you never wanted it badly enough in the first place.
beetle
Dec 2007
Re: The powers that be want to cut down the tree's?
by lestroisours • Fri 09 Mar 2012 18:49
I believe that if the trees are within your domaine they will remain yours. If they are within the commune, then the commune have the rights on the timber, and you might be able to buy it. If the land is departemental, then of course it's their timber and could be difficult to get hold of it. However if, as has been the case that the land is owned by the power authority, then your guess is as good as mine as to what happens to the wood. EDF cut the tops out in our chemin recently, and all the timber was on our neighbour farmers land. But he GAVE it to us, which was nice.
lestroisours
Oct 2007
by beetle • Sat 10 Mar 2012 13:03
All the timber forms part of our land boundary and from the sound of it I will need plenty of fuel and chain saw oil.
On the topic of chainsaws, we bought a cheap one and it proved to be a nightmare from the start. As fast as I put the fuel in it came out.
Perhaps a saboteur had assembled it? The fuel line had been cut and the oil line blocked with a screw. Of course we only found this out when stripping it down.
No worries, sorted that out started it up - rough running - flywheel brake heated up stalled the engine.
Bought a Stihl chainsaw (no choice time was against us) brilliant starts every time, happy little well balanced engine, chunters away to itself when idle but always keen to deliver its all.
I think we are going to be busy.
If you never find what you seek, you never wanted it badly enough in the first place.
beetle
Dec 2007
by Annik • Sat 10 Mar 2012 16:14
Some English friends who own a long thin triangle of woodland beside a local road came over last year to discover that it had been wantonly decimated by EDF. Felled trees lay everywhere and they were heartbroken. They don't really have the time or the equipment at the moment to do anything about it, so I expect it will be an eyesore for some time to come.

In fact EDF have completely vandalised the whole section of this road which used to be a tree-lined green tunnel of a lane leading eventually to Chenerailles and is now quite open. It is so alien that we feel lost when driving along it because our favourite landmark trees have been chopped down.

It all seems a bit excessive.

Annik
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. (Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.)" Groucho Marx
Annik
Jun 2007
by beetle • Sun 11 Mar 2012 12:13
This is beginning to sound worrying, possibly not the de-limbed tree trunks neatly stacked, but a jumbled mess to sort out. I think the old lady not far from us would be somewhat annoyed also - they would spoil her view.
I understand the reason for cutting tree's down if they could affect a power line but would have assumed up to now, this would have been done sympathetically.

After cutting up the branches comes the back breaking job of splitting the wood its a good job I came across this tip: splitting logs with a tire
beetle
Dec 2007
by redburmese • Sun 11 Mar 2012 20:37
All very worrying 'have lived here 6 years '3 years in the haute vienne and 3years in the cruise 'and have never seen so much felling of trees before :( if this keeps up we are going to be in trouble for firewood or paying very high prices for what is left :no:
redburmese
Aug 2008
by Annik • Sun 11 Mar 2012 22:43
That clip from YouTube is fascinating - as are some of the other ones on the same subject. They have given us lots of thoughts about tackling our own wood splitting without spending a fortune on the gear.

Annik
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. (Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.)" Groucho Marx
Annik
Jun 2007
by David_J • Mon 12 Mar 2012 11:18
What irritates about EDF is that they just turn up unannounced and in my case, enter my land without so much as a 'by your leave', take off what and where they want and leave me to clear the mess.
Shortly after I moved into my present house, they trimmed the tops from a high hedge next to the road and in my innocence I left the mess where it lay in the ditch thinking a second crew would arrive to clear it up.
Shortly after, I received a polite letter from the Marie asking (telling) me to clear it up.
What did I think - don't even go there !
David
David_J
Aug 2006
by beetle • Mon 19 Mar 2012 21:10
We now have a meeting set up for April to discuss the tree's. Meetings are all well and good but what will we learn?
I do so agree it is alarming how many tree's are cut down, so we do propose to plant new ones.
You have to give back a little of what you have taken from the soil.
At the end of our garden in the UK is a silver birch which in five years has grown to a height of thirty foot. It acts as a measure of time passing for me
beetle
Dec 2007
by beetle • Sun 22 Apr 2012 20:48
The original intention was to replicate the original course for the power lines however, this proved not to be the best solution and the alternative shorter route required only a few sapplings to be cut down. All of this was conveyed to us by both of us using what French we knew and what English he knew. It's great when you can make yourself understood and understand each other this way.
Howevever he did explain if the mature trees had been cut down, that is all they would have done. The tree's would remain where they fell and it is our reponsibility to clear up the mess.
Thank heavens there was a plan 'B'!
The next step is they send us a form to sign which confirms we have given our approval for cutting down the sapplings.
"Well it all turned out nice again didn't it"
beetle
Dec 2007
by Annik • Mon 23 Apr 2012 11:08
We filled in a form in triplicate or quadruplicate six months ago giving permission for EDF to cut back a couple of our trees to facilitate new work with the power lines in the village. At the beginning of April we received a reply saying that it would cost us 0.00€ and that we would receive compensation of 0.00€. I bet the functionnaires had fun with that.

It still hasn't been done!

Annik
Annik
Jun 2007
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions