Mushrooms
by edmoraz • Wed 08 Feb 2012 15:52

I know its the wrong time to ask but I like to plan ahead....is there anyone or do you know of anyone who organises guided mushroom hunts. I would love to know what to pick but dont trust my limited knowledge and the books I have not to poison us all. :angel:

edmoraz
Feb 2008
Re: Mushrooms
by Frankie • Wed 08 Feb 2012 16:10

Edmoraz I assume you mean here in the UK, unless your French is very good, have a look at the link attached, this group have a foray program for 2012. They have one not far from you in Ainsdale.

fungus.org.uk

Frankie
Jul 2010
by virtdave • Wed 08 Feb 2012 19:28

French pharmacists (?chemists, to you lot) are, or were, required to study mushrooms as part of their training, and most of them will be happy to try to identify a mushroom you bring into their shop. Some are more interested than others, and they certainly err on the side of caution when advising on the edibility of a mushroom. There are indeed some very toxic ones in Creuse (mushrooms, not pharmacists), and I have seen a couple of Amanita phalloides ('destroying angel'). But the majority are neither toxic nor delicious. The best bet is to go out with someone knowledgeable, and train yourself to recognize half a dozen sure bets, then strictly limit yourself to those--and until you're quite certain, have the ones you're planning on eating checked by the local expert. Several mushrooms which are good to collect in Creuse also grow here in California, somewhat surprisingly.
When we first arrived in Creuse, our farmer neighbors gave us a basket of c├Ępes. We were delighted, and asked where they grew--they responded by giving us another huge basket, but never did tell us where to find them--that's not done, it appears.

virtdave
Sep 2008
by edmoraz • Wed 08 Feb 2012 19:49

Frankie I did mean in France but I think I will join the group you sent as they have a foray in Ainsdale which is just up the road from me.

edmoraz
Feb 2008
by JulieR • Thu 09 Feb 2012 12:08

A couple of times of year they do guided walks through our local tourist office, so maybe they do in your area

Usually spring and Autumn I think
Julie

JulieR
May 2005
by David_J • Fri 10 Feb 2012 09:55

Must be a big office !

David_J
Aug 2006
by edmoraz • Fri 10 Feb 2012 10:08

lol Dave. I will check out that office in March as we are midway between them and Gueret.

edmoraz
Feb 2008
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions