Growing Pumpkins from Seed
by Dave • Tue 10 Jan 2012 12:53

This year we are going to try to grow pumpkin from seeds taken from a delicious pumpkin we brought last year. We've dried the seeds and they still look in good shape. We are growing them to eat rather than for size so taste is all important. Pumpkin soup and pie are great.

Has anyone grown them in the Creuse?

Have you got any tips on planting?

When is the best time to sow?

Dave
Administrator
Aug 2004
Re: Growing Pumpkins from Seed
by JulieR • Tue 10 Jan 2012 15:02

Hi,
I haven't grown pumpkins but grow butternut squash each year with good success.
I have never used my own seeds but might have a go this year. Not worth planting the seeds indoors till April as can't go outside till after the last frost.
I usually 'cheat' and buy the plants from the local market in May. I think I am right that pumpkins do not like the frost so not worth planting them outside till at least May. If growing from seed outdoors plant the same as courgettes and not until May either. One thing to be aware of is that they take up alot of room!!! One plant can spread 6 to 8 feet or more!!!
My bns plants usually have 3 to 5 fruit on each so usually restrict to 3 or 4 plants max.
Julie

JulieR
May 2005
by lestroisours • Tue 10 Jan 2012 15:48

We grew some in 2011, and were going great, until a cow escaped the farm and trambled the main stem, losing us the majority of the fruit. We had three reasonable ones though and made a great pumpkin pie that we shared with our french neighbours. I did offer our neighbour one pumpkin, but he said he never ate them. So I made the pie, and he and his wife enjoyed it very much. Shows how much they don't know they like!
We planted them directly onto the compast heap with some courgettes, all grown from seeds. The courgettes were good too!

lestroisours
Oct 2007
by andie • Fri 13 Jan 2012 09:50

I've grown several different varieties for the last few years and they grow very well. The largest ones I struggled to lift and they made fantastic soup and pie. Mind you there was a lot of it. Some of our neighbours struggled a bit in 2011 but mine did well, no special care and despite the water shortage they thrived. Good luck.

andie
Oct 2007
by Annik • Fri 13 Jan 2012 10:22

Oh, dear, don't mention pumpkins to us. We planted a couple a few years ago and then had to go back to England to deal with a family issue. We were away for a month and set up an automatic watering system for the tomatoes (from a tank of water in the barn roof fed by the well).

Some kind friends mowed the lawn for us while we weren't there and severed the little black hosepipe leading to the tomatoes. The nearby (then very small) pumpkins thus received about 1000 litres of water.

When we got back the pumpkins had spread over an area of 25 sq metres - through the tomatoes, through the runner beans, across the lawn and through the soft fruit bushes. It took me nearly two hours to cut them back savagely.

So, keep an eye on yours or they will run away with you!

Annik

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. (Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.)" Groucho Marx
Annik
Jun 2007
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions