Pont Noir

Live Life in Creuse

Bougainvillea
by TournesolKate • Mon 23 May 2011 14:07
Does anybody have any experience of growing Bougainvillea out here? I've wanted one ever since I saw it growing absolutely everywhere in India, it's so beautiful. But the Creuse climate and the Southern Indian climate are a wee bit different and I can't imagine it would survive our harsh winters.
TournesolKate
Oct 2008
Re: Bougainvillea
by virtdave • Mon 23 May 2011 14:45
It does grow where our place in California is, with very light frosts occasionally, but I'd be astonished if it'd survive a Creuse winter--it's really a tropical plant. There are clematis and red roses which do well here, which you might consider instead.
virtdave
Sep 2008
by TournesolKate • Mon 23 May 2011 16:30
That's what I thought, but Jardiland have got loads of Bougainvillea plants in and I've seen a house with a big one in the front garden on my way to work. Maybe it gets put away in a greenhouse for the winter.
TournesolKate
Oct 2008
by virtdave • Mon 23 May 2011 19:59
If they sell it locally, I guess it must do ok, but I imagine you're correct about wintering it over. Next time you're in Jardiland, you of course could ask about it.
virtdave
Sep 2008
by Martin • Tue 24 May 2011 20:05
We have a couple of plants growing in Devon, vigorous climbers have covered the shed and front of house and survived some quite nasty frosts and snow for last 5 years or more, I would suggest go for it.
Martin
Jun 2009
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions