hornet question
by virtdave Sun 17 Sep 2017 11:00

A few weeks ago hornets started coming into our house here. They seemed to be attracted to the night light outside the front door, and when we'd open it they zoomed in. At first they were just a bit pesky, but more and more started arriving. I did a little research, and found out a few things: turns out hornets in the USA are (undocumented, I assume) European immigrants. Interestingly, the expression "mad as a hornet" seems to be American, I asked a number of Brits over here about it, and they'd never heard it. It may come from the daunting noise they make, but they're not very aggressive unless their nest is attacked, at which point they can be actually rather dangerous=when they sting, they deposit a chemical which attracts their mates to join in the attack; Carrie did get stung once, when she brushed one off her shoulder without looking....

They're actually fairly beneficial, but when their nest is near or in a house, are a problem. The nest we found was in our pigeon tower, right near the house, and on looking into it, I found a huge nest, about the size of a basketball. Since I once kept bees, I had a beekeeper's veil, and, having very very carefully covered myself up, sprayed the nest with a jet stream of hornet-killer. It worked, and the nest seems quite empty now. In any case, the swarm would have died over the winter, except for the queen (also dead, I now imagine) who snuggles down til the next spring.

So, here's the insect question: should I leave the (now drenched with hornet toxin) nest in place, or would it be an attraction for the next wandering hornet looking for a home? It'd be a bit tricky to knock it down, but I could do it.

virtdave
Sep 2008
Re: hornet question
by Freezerbill Mon 18 Sep 2017 07:32

They don't normally come back to the same place, but nearby. Normally the Q produces 5 more Qs who hibernate in the ground to create 5 more nests next year. The Asian hornet is very dangerous to the bee (they eat them) and can kill the whole hive very quickly as said they don't normally return to same place but my advice would be to remove to stop them being attracted to the area. Asiatique Hornets are identifiable by yellow legs among other things

Freezerbill
Mar 2014
by virtdave Mon 18 Sep 2017 15:39

Thanks. The hornets I (think I have) knocked off are definitely the European sort. I will suit up (just in case they're not all dead and whack down the nest.

virtdave
Sep 2008
by Freezerbill Mon 18 Sep 2017 18:26

Put some traps out in spring, try to catch the Q as she emerges

Freezerbill
Mar 2014
by Dave Sun 01 Oct 2017 18:57

What sort of trap can you use to trap the Queen?

We have hornets nesting in outbuilding from time to time and have to destroy a nest now and then but normally hornets are docile and don't really bother us so we let them alone.

Dave
Administrator
Aug 2004
by Freezerbill Mon 02 Oct 2017 11:35

This is a cheap way sing a water bottle, I have found that a mix of white wine, beer and cassis syrup works well

The queens will be looking to hibernate soon but worth a go, best time is in spring when they emerge, they a looking for a quick fix of energy to get them started

If you do have a frelon in the trap try not to kill it (as long as it cannot escape) as it attracts more frelon

http://m.wikihow.com/Make-a-Wasp-Trap

Freezerbill
Mar 2014
by Dave Tue 03 Oct 2017 12:31

Ah, I didn't think that you'd be able to use a regular wasp trap. I might try that in the Spring, although tbh providing they don't nest in the buildings, I've no real problem with them.

Dave
Administrator
Aug 2004
by Freezerbill Wed 04 Oct 2017 07:41

Please try the trap for the frelon, they eat my bees!

Freezerbill
Mar 2014
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions