St Moreil and its Environs
by smilespwp • Mon 21 Oct 2013 20:35

Our village St Moreil, a haven of calm and tranquillity. Featured in an episode of the France 3 TV series "Un Village Francais".

Rte-de-la-croix-pierre-2008.jpg

Route de la Croix Pierre - St Moreil © Brian Moulton 2008

Rue De Puy - St. Moreil

Attachments
ruedepuystmoreil.jpg

Rue de Puy - St. Moreil 2008 © Brian Moulton

eglise.jpg

L'eglise de St. Moreil 2008 © Brian Moulton

Best regards

Brian
smilespwp
Apr 2007
Re: St. Moreil and it's Environs
by Annik • Tue 22 Oct 2013 22:00

Those are lovely photos. I am not sure if we gave been to St Moreil as it is a long way from Chenerailles. However I have a kind of memory of the name. Do you do things for the Journées du Patrimoine? The church looks beautiful.

Annik

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. (Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.)" Groucho Marx
Annik
Jun 2007
by smilespwp • Wed 23 Oct 2013 10:49

Annik

Thanks for the comments.

Unfortunately, I don't really get involved with the village's local history groups. Always seem to have things to do and this year, I have been afflicted with back problems.

The village, like many others in the Creuse, is mainly populated with an ageing population, and I always seem to just miss most village events.

I did earlier this year, give some re-creations of old postcards I had produced to the local school's headmaster. Sadly the school closed this summer, due to insufficient numbers to justify it remaining open.

St. Moreil boasts no shops, bars, cafes or restuarants, only a part time post office and I believe that there is a new local history museum next to the church, but I haven't managed to visit it just yet. There is a permanent "Espace Patrimoine" about 50 metres down from the church, with a couple of old sarcophagi and other relics found in the area on display.

Thanks to this forum created by Dave, I am inspired to possibly produce some panoramic views. On the front of our house there is a small balcony, which gives us a view due South across the valley and to the South West a view of part of the village. Sitting there on a warm sunny evening, can hardly be beaten in my view. EDF are currently also removing the electricity supply cables which will only enhance the view, photographically.

Addendum:

Altarcloth Image: Our next door but one neighbours are an elderly Portuguese couple who came to France in the mid 1960's. Manuel (now deceased Nov 2015) was a quarryman, now he tends a couple of plots of land in the village along with his wife, Idalena. From day 1 they have made us welcome and if we have needed any advice, removal of ticks, source of firewood or whatever, one need only ask. Idalena, early this year, finished crocheting the new altar cloth shown on image 2. As basically, an English "townie", acts such as these don't happen much where we live in England, although I think in more rural areas, some of this attitude still remains.

Attachments
Altarcloth.jpg

Idalena's Altar Cloth

leglise.jpg

L'eglise interieur vue

Best regards

Brian
smilespwp
Apr 2007
by smilespwp • Wed 23 Oct 2013 15:24

Filming in St. Moreil for "Un Village Francaise" TV series in April 2009, gave the village something different to talk about. You had to be careful when filming was being carried out as we found out when walking down a road which was background to that scene. We were alerted when the director started to shout and gesticulate in a frantic manner. Never did get to see the episode with St. Moreil in (one day I'll get the DVD).

villagefrancaise01.jpg

Filming for an episode of "Un Village Francaise" in 2009 - © Brian Moulton

Best regards

Brian
smilespwp
Apr 2007
by smilespwp • Wed 23 Oct 2013 15:40

More village views

Attachments
Patrimoine.jpg

Espace Patrimoine

memorial.jpg

The Village Cenotaph

martinnadaud.jpg

Rue Martin Nadaud

Best regards

Brian
smilespwp
Apr 2007
by smilespwp • Thu 30 Oct 2014 10:16

Part of the view from our 1st floor balcony looking down towards the eglise. Much improved since the power supply and telephone lines were removed and re-sited underground.

Attachments
stmoreiloct2014.jpg
Best regards

Brian
smilespwp
Apr 2007
by smilespwp • Fri 22 May 2015 10:13

Over the winter (2014-2015), the village works team have been busy creating a fishing lake for use by the public (with a locally purchased permit). An asset in the commune, with a pique-nique area. Apparently, Perch, Carp, Barbel and some Trout from the stream that feeds the lake, have been identified. It will be interesting to see how it develops with maturity. The lake was always there but had become overgrown and fishing was not allowed.

Attachments
etangdeSM.jpg

Newly refurbished fishing venue in St Moreil

Best regards

Brian
smilespwp
Apr 2007
by Jeanne • Sat 23 May 2015 10:45

Amazing how similar all the villages are in the Creuse. Similar styles of houses; sometimes difficult to discern which village from a pic. Never feel at home south of the N145 though. For me there is a different ambiance in the La Châtre area. Hard to explain but I suppose its a case of where your heart is.

Jeanne
Jun 2010
by virtdave • Sat 23 May 2015 12:31

Those in La Creuse Berrichonne do seem to think there are still wolves in the arrondissement of Aubusson. Maybe dragons. Though I've personally not seen either, there are some interesting animal noises in the night, and one evening on returning late, there was a sanglier in our cave....there's currently a herd of cerfs in the woods opposite our place. If I can find the USB cable which connects my camera to my computer, I'll try to post some photos. The pics of St.Moreil are lovely.

virtdave
Sep 2008
by Jeanne • Mon 25 May 2015 19:34

There certainly are more deer south of Aubusson. I go down that way for events sometimes and hate driving back at 2 or 3 in the morning through the woods. Always a bit too much wildlife ready to leap in front of the car.

I regard myself as an Anglais Berrichonne. I wish I could win the Lotto and move there. Such a different ambiance for us. Perhaps its because we are not retired LOL.

Jeanne
Jun 2010
Re: St Moreil and its Environs
by Chompers • Wed 20 Apr 2016 11:10

St Moreil was the the first village I stayed in when I started looking for a property in Creuse back in 2006. Stayed with the same couple 4/5 times always very friendly. The walks around there are lovely as well, mind you aren't they all in the Creuse. Thanks for stirring some memories.

Chompers
Jan 2008
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions