compromise - electrics
by sally watkins • Wed 30 Sep 2015 17:31

Hi there,

We have just signed a compromise and pending paperwork arriving here in the UK we will be beginning our 10 day get out clause period. In the meantime does anyone know who could advise us on the electrical report? We have some images of the electrics and they are certainly old and the estate agent has said that though they'd don't conform, they are not dangerous. But we'd welcome a second opinion.

Thanks,

Sally

sally watkins
Jul 2015
Re: compromise - electrics
by RobertArthur • Wed 30 Sep 2015 20:12

Sally, Schneider published in 2009 a nice summary: title: guide diagnostic mise en sécurité. With a quick google search it will show up almost immediately. Download this pdf document and read it or have a look at the included photo's if your French is not yet fluent. Take note: this part of the several diagnostics is only there to inform the buyers. No obligation for the seller or buyer to update an already existing installation to the regs of today. But having one or more interrupteurs différentiel of 30 mA can save lives, see also the recommendations given by the Schneider engineers.

Kind regards,

Robert

RobertArthur
Mar 2009
by rictel • Wed 30 Sep 2015 20:46

Hi Sally. Firstly I am not an electrician, RobertArthur is the electrical guru on the site, but for the agent to say that the electrics don't conform does raise a red flag. Depending on your future plans you could be looking at upgrading the board or even a full re-wire which could be very costly & it's definitely worth finding out if you have a good earth straight away. If you give an idea of the area you are buying in perhaps someone could suggest a local electrician who could look at the report & photo's ?

rictel
Dec 2007
by sally watkins • Wed 30 Sep 2015 21:16

Thanks for your replies. We are buying in Vidaillat, just south of Pontarion. The house is old of course, and generally in great condition, but no knowing anything about electrics I don't have a clue about their condition. If someone could take a look at the report that would be great.

sally watkins
Jul 2015
by RobertArthur • Wed 30 Sep 2015 21:49

Sally, if you were to ask a French electrician, he - or she - would probably try to convince you that you better renovate the whole electrical installation to the regs of today, including a wired network for phone and data. Not conforming, what's in a name, many shades of grey. It could be dangerous, or just not conforming to only some non essential regs. You can fly in an electrician for a second opinion. Must faster: consider this report as a bargaining chip to get the price down. Rule of thumb, depends of course on surface and quality of the existing wiring and contents of the distribution board, earthing arrangements etc: set apart a budget between 2K and 7K for a (partial) rewiring. To make an existing installation safe doesn't imply that you have to live up in detail to everything that has been laid down in the French electrical code, NF C 15-100. Skipping the communication network will not harm anyone. Food for thought: the French president Hollande promised us (May last year) a simplification of construction regs, including the electrical code. So what is obligatory today might perhaps melt away as snow in the sunshine of spring 2016. I must admit: this belongs to the department wishing & hoping. See also this topic.

But having signed the compromis de vente already my comments are a bit too late to lower the asking price I'm afraid. Might be useful however to do a selective rewiring.

Robert

RobertArthur
Mar 2009
by sally watkins • Wed 30 Sep 2015 22:26

Thank you Robert. I've had spent the last hour or so reading your post on electrics - amazingly helpful stuff. As is the forum generally.

Sally

sally watkins
Jul 2015
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions