water heaters /electrics
by jumblebumble • Sat 25 Apr 2015 13:29

Hi,
Having just returned to England from our Easter visit to our place in La Creuse,and don't plan to return until the summer. But I think I have made a school boy error!!!. Normally on departure I go round and shut down everything , water , electrics etc etc. On this occasion Iam 90% certain that I have left my electics on....I haven't left a spare key with my neighbours as they have recently moved out!!!!
Iam not concerned about the normal lighting and power stuff but its the water heaters, One upstairs and one down. They are wired into our mcb board but do not have a timer on them. Is there any chance that they can overheat when there isn't a demand for the hot water???? Or will the built in thermostat kick in to action. Also concerned of the long term life of the heaters when re heating the water over and over again. Please advise...
Thinking of a quick but expensive flight out to ease my worries. jumble bumble

jumblebumble
Oct 2008
Re: water heaters /electrics
by RobertArthur • Sat 25 Apr 2015 14:55

Probably nothing to worry about. Your thermostat will limit the maximum temperature somewhere around 67 degrees Celsius. And there is another safety, the sécurité. See this picture, little red button, can be reset. It is essentially a series connection: phase ---> thermostat ---> safety device (thermal cut-out) ---> resistance of the heating element ---> neutral. But if there were to be a little leak somewhere in your system - you shut down your water - there is a (remote) possibility that the water level in your chauffe-eau goes down (the one upstairs first). A condition we would like to avoid, even in the presence of this sécurité. The thermal losses in the modern chauffe-eaus are not very high, so your EDF facture should not be skyhigh. Long term life: I've seen electric water heaters lasting more than 20 years.....Calcification buildup is an issue here.

Quick flight: copy of your key(s) to someone else? Once upon a time you could have asked monsieur le facteur (mr postman) ou madame la factrice, but too many frequent personnel changes these days. Perhaps one of the readers of this forum?

RobertArthur
Mar 2009
by Robjelves • Sat 25 Apr 2015 17:04

We go over again on the 22 May. Where in the creuse and England are you. PM me if you don't want to post public.
If it's not too far I'd turn then off for you. We are close to Cheniers..
Rob

Robjelves
Dec 2013
by jumblebumble • Sun 26 Apr 2015 12:15

Thanks for the offer Rob thats very kind of you . We are Nott'm based in the uk and in the hill top village of Gioux few k's from Fellitin. .
Ive had another message from another kind member and has given me the confidence to wait until we next go out.....Thanks again Pasco

jumblebumble
Oct 2008
by jumblebumble • Sun 26 Apr 2015 12:18

Thanks so much Robert for the heater techno stuff. Think we will wait until we next visit. You words have given me confidance to go the distance !!! Pasco

jumblebumble
Oct 2008
by Robjelves • Sun 26 Apr 2015 21:38

Ok no probs. fellitin is a bit of a jaunt but we do it now and then as we love the town and the market. As Robert said it should be fine and if it's well insulated it shouldn't cost too much as it's just keeping the tank warm with no draw off.
We plant to get some spare keys and leave them with our french neighbour just in case anything like this happens to us.
Hope all goes well for your return.

Robjelves
Dec 2013
by kowalczy • Sun 26 Apr 2015 22:04

Key boxes are another way to go, keeps a key on the premises but available to whoever you elect.

kowalczy
Feb 2013
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions