Surface mounted electrics
by Robjelves • Tue 14 Apr 2015 21:03

Hi, I want to mount some electrical fittings ( socket and light switch ) onto a stone wall. I want to keep all the stone visible so the fittings will have to be surface mount. I was planning on running the wiring in galvanised conduit as I think that would look best against the stone. The proble I'm having is finding suitable fittings that are not white plastic. Does anyone know if the french fittings will fit into an English back box? Or where I could get suitable french surface fittings?

Robjelves
Dec 2013
Re: Surface mounted electrics
by kowalczy • Tue 14 Apr 2015 22:36

Hi, I want to mount some electrical fittings ( socket and light switch ) onto a stone wall. I want to keep all the stone visible so the fittings will have to be surface mount. 1 I was planning on running the wiring in galvanised conduit as I think that would look best against the stone. The proble I'm having is finding suitable fittings that are not white plastic. Does anyone know if the french fittings will fit into an 2 English back box? Or where I could get suitable french surface fittings?
Said Robjelves
1The use of metal conduit is an absolute No No.
2If by "English back box" you mean a metal back box, again an absolute No No.
All trunking and support boxes must be capable of double insulation and metal products will generally fail this test. All the major French manufactures produce a range of surface mounting boxes, in white, they can always be painted before fixing. They also produce fronts (plaques) in a great variety of colours, over twenty at the last count, and textures ( polished metals, leather, wood and more. Try here for a starter http://www.legrand.fr/professionnels/le ... e_389.html

kowalczy
Feb 2013
by Freezerbill • Wed 15 Apr 2015 07:49

Is it a stone wall? Could you chase out the joins and run the wires in conduit through the join then refil

Freezerbill
Mar 2014
by RobertArthur • Wed 15 Apr 2015 12:06

Everything - almost - you always wanted to know about what the French call canalisations has been summarized in this issue of Promotelec's "fil pilote", pages 5-8. And let's not forget our friends Thierry Gallauziaux and David Fedullo, 15 pages of one of their books, after several years still present in this internet world of living and dead links.

Regards,

Robert

RobertArthur
Mar 2009
by Robjelves • Thu 16 Apr 2015 22:16

Thanks all for the replys. I'll have to rethink this one. Think it's odd they don't allow metal conduit, can't get any more protected!!!
Freezerbill Can't chase it into the wall as it has some sort of render on it in places and wanted to keep the look.
Robertarthur love the links, don't speak or read french very well but love the bit telling you how to plaster....!
Pinkeletrique I'll be in touch to discuss the other fuse boards.
Will probably end up using white plastic and painting it.

Robjelves
Dec 2013
by RobertArthur • Thu 16 Apr 2015 22:43

Don't be afraid of French texts: see page 229 in the link to Thierry & David: MRL 5557 tube en acier (metal) is allowed, you'll see it in an industrial environment. And because of the double insulation rule only with cable, type U 1000 R2V.

RobertArthur
Mar 2009
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions