Water Heater - No Timer
by steveP • Wed 25 Mar 2015 08:38

Hi,

Every water heater I have had in the past has had a timer. I have just bought a house in Creuse and the, relatively modern, heater does not have one. EDF have just installed a new dual cost meter so obviously I would like the water to heat up on the cheap rate only. Is having a timer installed an easy job and how much is it likely to cost me! (in other words - is it worth doing at all?)

Cheers

Steve

steveP
Jan 2015
Re: Water Heater - No Timer
by Freezerbill • Wed 25 Mar 2015 09:32

Do you live in the house permanently?

I have just had to change mine, i think I saw timers on sale on the same disply.

I dont have overnight cheap elec (and dont want it)

Is you water heater very large? What size

Freezerbill
Mar 2014
by RobertArthur • Wed 25 Mar 2015 09:40

Not the first time that someone tries to understand the secrets of the so called relais jour/nuit, a simple relay. Obeying to a special signal from ERDF's grid. This is one of the many question/answer sessions. If you are not afraid of opening a consumer unit it is an easy job for the DIY with some experience.

Robert

RobertArthur
Mar 2009
by kowalczy • Wed 25 Mar 2015 10:34

Remember that water heaters(chauffe eau) are not permitted to be attached via a plug and socket, so the use of plug-in timers is also not permitted. As Robert says, the use of a 'day/night switch' in the tableau is the normal and approved way forward.

kowalczy
Feb 2013
by Freezerbill • Wed 25 Mar 2015 13:31

Does that mean that the times I thought I saw were now way for the chauffe eau?

Freezerbill
Mar 2014
by RobertArthur • Wed 25 Mar 2015 13:54

The timers (minuterie) for use in the consumer unit can be connected to your chauffe-eau. But why use an expensive timer to override the ERDF fil-pilote signal already available if you have a day/night tariff? The only thing I can imagine is to use such a timer in the case of a standard tariff and a small puissance souscrite, say 6 Kva, to prevent overloading in day time.

Robert

RobertArthur
Mar 2009
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions