Consuel
by adz8192 • Mon 18 Nov 2013 15:59

Can anyone tell me when I should request a Consuel for my electrics.
ie do they need to see all the gaine/wire or it sufficient for them to look at the junction boxes, sockets etc.
thanks in advance

adz8192
Aug 2009
Re: Consuel
by RobertArthur • Mon 18 Nov 2013 17:35

Let's begin the easy way. You only need the Consuel inspection for a new build, never been connected to the power grid, of for a total, 100% renovation of an existing building, bringing walls down etc. If there is already a regular EDF abonnement, or has been in the recent past, no need to invite them for a visit.

Let's continue, now hard talk: if you really need a attestation, say you have a branchement provisoire right now, then every little inch of electric wiring has to conform to the French electrical code NF C 15-100, including a wired communication network to all the rooms. Can be done, also by non professionals, but can be quite a challenge. In their Rapport d'Activité 2012 about Installations de consommation you'll see some interesting tables from page 15 to 22. One of them (page 21) about their attestation de conformité inspections. Hear, hear: of the visited logements individuels équipés par non-professionnels 100 % had the honour to hear the doorbell ring, making a total of 48980. And of the houses équipés par professionnels, a total of 147472, inspection by a sampling approach, 20.3 % received a visitor.

Consuel procedures, the visit, what to expect, by a French electrician. Once again, it can be done, but some inspectors are tougher than others. One of the lessons to be learned: use quality material, and please forget traditional British habits, daisy chaining everything. In this case the contact resistances in the earth wiring back to the consumer unit / central earth point were a bit too much, more than 2 ohms. Contact and wiring resistances in series have a tendency to add up, resulting in ...problems.

Robert

RobertArthur
Mar 2009
by adz8192 • Mon 18 Nov 2013 19:36

Hi Robert
Thanks for the response.
The house that we are in was once connected to the electricity supply via a cable to the farmers barn. It has since been inhabited by squatters who ripped literally everything out of the house. So, we have to start again from scratch and are currently on a temporary supply.
From the look of it, I am ok to run all my cables in gaine and do the plasterboarding etc but probably better off getting the inspection done prior to final finishing just in case there are any problems?
The earth bothers me a little and I may need to enlist the help of a professional (which I am most definitely not) to ensure it is all correct
Adam

adz8192
Aug 2009
by RobertArthur • Mon 18 Nov 2013 20:43

Adam, if you've got books as "Locaux d'habitation" and "L'installation électrique" you should be able to get the job done. Might be useful to invite the ERDF to have look where they think the best entry point is for their "alimentation" to your house. Suggested reading this information from the ERDF about the connection to the power grid, and even more detailed information from Vialis.

Before wishing you all the best, remember: design, design and design. Start with the lay-out on paper before making the traditional flying start. In other words: reading, designing before doing. And let an electrician have a look at it. Only invite Consuel when you are 100% sure that everything is in conformity to the regs. A second control visit by Consuel is expensive!

Robert

RobertArthur
Mar 2009
by kowalczy • Mon 18 Nov 2013 20:45

The inspector from the Consuel will want to see your electrics in a finished state. He will also require that your earth comes in with a measurement of 100Ω or below.
Bon courage.

kowalczy
Feb 2013
by adz8192 • Mon 02 Dec 2013 09:08

Thanks for the wealth of information.
I (think) I am now fine with the earthing principles.
One further question though.....
I have installed a shower and it is fully tiled and finished.
How do I now go about earth bonding to it and make it aesthetically pleasing?

adz8192
Aug 2009
by RobertArthur • Mon 02 Dec 2013 11:34

Food for thought, continued:

1) earthing issues;

2) salles de bains;

3) The different volumes in the bathroom according to amendement 2 of the French electrical code NF C 15-100;

4) Questions: what type of shower, complete unit in plastic with glass sliding doors, traditional, douche à la italienne, what type of tuyaux (copper or plastic pipes?);

5) Once tiled, no easy fix, and difficult to make it aesthetically pleasing.

6) And remember: you don't have to install all your boîtes de dérivation inside the bathroom: some lateral thinking allowed.

Regards,

Robert

RobertArthur
Mar 2009
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions