Rewiring
by susan • Sun 28 Apr 2013 09:53

I would be interested to no roughly how much it costs to rewire a three bedroom house. There is electricity connected but only the occasional socket and light switch!

susan
Sep 2008
Re: Rewiring
by kowalczy • Sun 28 Apr 2013 10:57

This question has many answers I am afraid dependant on the type of house construction and the appearance of the finished cabling. If you are happy with surface mounted moulding to carry the wires, then a basic re-wire could be around 4.5k - 5k€. If, however, you wish the cables to be buried in the wall this would add considerable time, effort & cost, being dependant on the construction of the house. These figures do not in any way cover for comms wiring (TV, Telephone or Internet) or to wire the house to the minimum standard required for a Consuel certificate.

kowalczy
Feb 2013
by susan • Sun 28 Apr 2013 11:26

Thank you. I think my husband would do the channeling (it is a stone house),but we would need tv, phone, Internet etc., so we are expecting that this will add to the cost. We are at the beginning of renovating but need to finish by November so we are trying to get an idea of the costs involved in the work we can't do ourselves.

susan
Sep 2008
by virtdave • Sun 28 Apr 2013 18:26

If you're going to run channelling, putting in a few extra for the low-voltage wires (telephone, internet, TV) should be easy--it's best to run the low-voltage stuff in separate channels from the line voltage wires. In general, wireless connections are pretty easy, though, and devices to accomplish this are now not so pricey.

virtdave
Sep 2008
by susan • Sun 28 Apr 2013 18:31

Thank you, good to know!

susan
Sep 2008
by kowalczy • Sun 28 Apr 2013 19:40

If you're going to run channelling, putting in a few extra for the low-voltage wires (telephone, internet, TV) should be easy--it's best to run the low-voltage stuff in separate channels from the line voltage wires. In general, wireless connections are pretty easy, though, and devices to accomplish this are now not so pricey.
Said virtdave
It's not a case of "it's best to run......". In France, it is obligatory. The rules cover the distances between parallel lines (haut & bas tension) and the size of gaine required for comms wiring.

kowalczy
Feb 2013
by virtdave • Sun 28 Apr 2013 21:16

Thanks...I'm not surprised, the same sort of regulations apply in the USA. Or probably anywhere other than maybe here.

virtdave
Sep 2008
by rictel • Mon 29 Apr 2013 20:32

Your best bet is to get some registered electricians around to give you a devis for what you want done, it will cost you nothing & be accurate rather than a "rough idea" ( but dont sign anything unless you are happy to go ahead ). Ask locally for recommendations & try to get 2 or 3 quotes. Most importantly make sure they are legally registered & insured.

rictel
Dec 2007
by alldown • Tue 30 Apr 2013 11:36

I think there is a list of electricians on this site. Make sure that whoever you get is French registered. I cannot remember what the word is Siret? Siren? somebody will post the correct word.

I know that when our house was re-wired one person boasted that he would do it the "English way" which if I remember correctly does not comply to French legislation.

Mind you I am going back to when God was a boy and wore short trousers.

Good Luck Gill

alldown
Sep 2005
by susan • Tue 30 Apr 2013 12:46

Thank you Gill. We will get some devis as a first step.

susan
Sep 2008
by Sevy • Tue 30 Apr 2013 18:38

Hi Susan
We used the La Coterie Tel No. 0555808330 team to rewire our house. It is a 2 bedroom house. The total cost was 5000 euros. We were very pleased with the work which was done whilst we were in the UK. We have used them for a number of projects now and would definately recommend them. They have a French guy on the team that is up to date with all the current French regulations. We had everything surface mounted but where possible they hid the wiring or threaded it through exsisting channels especially under the solid floors.
Sevy

Sevy
Mar 2007
by susan • Tue 30 Apr 2013 19:06

Thank you Sevy, this company seem highly recommended and we will contact them for a devis.

susan
Sep 2008
by rictel • Tue 30 Apr 2013 21:48

Also in the Directory are Warner Electricite who are very good so worth getting a devis from them too.

rictel
Dec 2007
by Tim06 • Wed 01 May 2013 00:07

Why not ask the guys, (girls!), from "Pink Electrique" for a devis. After all they have been good enough to give advice via the forum.

Tim06
Jul 2009
by susan • Wed 01 May 2013 11:18

Will do, only fair!

susan
Sep 2008
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions