3 phase socket
by dissid32 • Wed 14 Nov 2012 19:30

I am in the process of getting a new gas cooker, which will need a power supply to run the ignition and oven light. There is a three phase socket, which was probably used to run an electric oven some years ago, although the actual socket is a relatively new one, put in by the electrician when I had some rewiring done. I imagine that the cooker will come with a normal three pin plug. Could I buy a three phase plug and just wire in one of the phases, or should I get an electrician to come and replace the 3 phase socket with a normal socket? I should be grateful for any advice. The socket has 3 round holes across the middle, one round hole at the top, and a rectangular hole at the bottom. I'm not sure what's what, but I could probably find out.

Patrick
dissid32
Feb 2006
Re: 3 phase socket
by RobertArthur • Wed 14 Nov 2012 22:47

Quick answer: have a look at these earlier discussions. Quick question: still a three-phase installation électrique over there, or everything single-phase? The socket you describe is indeed a prise triphasé.

Robert

RobertArthur
Mar 2009
by dissid32 • Thu 15 Nov 2012 17:14

Thank you, RobertArthur. As a matter of fact, I had already read the earlier discussion, but they didn't really seem to answer my question. Also, I didn't really understand the significance of "over there" in "still a three-phase installation electrique over there?" Are there places where there isn't three-phase? Anyway, the answer is "Yes, still three-phase". I was going to have it changed when I changed back to "tarif de base from heures creuses", but when the EDF man said it would cost somethimg over a 100€, and I got the impression, I think, that I'd also have to have an electrician to make changes to match the change, I decided to let sleeping dogs lie, and leave it as it was. It's a bit blurry in my recollection because it was some time ago.
Thanks again,

Patrick
dissid32
Feb 2006
by RobertArthur • Thu 15 Nov 2012 19:20

Patrick, the EDF did many connections dans la France profonde in three-phase with the electrification of rural France, sixty, seventy years ago. But with everybody having more than only a poste TSF (radio) and three lights, many clients started experiencing problems due to the main breaker coming into action when overloading one of the three phases. Not very difficult with a 6 kVA puissance souscrite en triphasé: only 10 amps per phase. So EDF tried to change to single-phase for all new clients, up to 18 kVA (90 amps). Three-phase reserved for the power hungry: 24, 30 and 36 kVA. But a few years ago with the introduction of amendement 1 of the NFC 14-100 electrical code (connection from the powergrid to the consumer) they changed opinion a bit: single-phase to a maximum of 12 kVA, and three-phase for more power. To prevent nuisance triggering of the main breaker many older three-phase connections have been changed to single-phase. But it comes at a price. Hope I explained my question: still three-phase?

Robert

RobertArthur
Mar 2009
by dissid32 • Fri 16 Nov 2012 10:29

Excellent! Very clearly explained. Thank you.

Patrick
dissid32
Feb 2006
by Dave • Fri 16 Nov 2012 15:28

My cooker can be wired either as mono or tri-phase (the default was mono-phase with a normal cable and plug, but the connection box is tri-phase with metal strips fixed between the phases). If I had tri-phase then I could wire it up as that with my own cable and plug.

My advice is to check the cooker - if it is tri-phase compatible (and you are happy to do wire it as such) wire a tri-phase plug on it and off you go as it's a new socket so should all be correct. If it is mono-phase only (most likely given that it is a gas cooker) then ask your electrician to advise you. He (or she) will be able to check your situation correctly and take the most appropriate path to a safe working cooker - a new additional single-phase plug I would expect, but perhaps a tri-phase plug wired to take only a single phase might be allowed given the low power consumption in this case (an electric cooker with oven and 4 plates would trip a single phase in most cases).

Dave
Administrator
Aug 2004
by dissid32 • Fri 16 Nov 2012 17:21

Thanks, Dave. I think probably I'll have to consult an electrician, as you suggest. I haven't actually got the cooker yet. It's coming from Cdiscount and we haven't been able to fix a delivery date yet.

Patrick
dissid32
Feb 2006
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions