Is it a temporary or permenant supply?
by flattop • Thu 01 Sep 2011 13:08

Hello all, this is my first entry and a difficult one I think. Is there anyone who knows how things worked 13 years ago in France with new supplies to buildings that had no previous electricity to them? This is a question for a friend so I may not have all the info.
The situation is that she is now thinking of renting out or selling the house so needs to get it sorted.
13 years ago she asked for a supply before any installation was in the house. EDF fitted a meter at the boundary of the property and said she needed to dig a trench to the house, which she aranged for. Then EDF came back and laid the cable and fitted what I think maybe a temp box in the house. It consists of 1x40A, 30mA dijouncteur Differentie and 2 sockets. Since then room by room electrics have been added, by different people, over the years and a rudimentary distribution board connected to the orginal (poss temp box)one fitted by EDF. Then 3 years ago EDF came, withoutany warning or being asked to, whilst she was away and fitted a new style didgital meter and reader on the boundary of the property but it is not connected to anything and the old one is still connected. Edf say their records that is is a permenant connection but need a visit at a charge of 125€ to say more. Any ideas? Hope so!!

flattop
Aug 2011
Re: Is it a temporary or permenant supply?
by Dave • Thu 01 Sep 2011 13:37

Welcome to Pont Noir.

It's difficult to say for sure, but unless it says that is is temporary on your bill then my expectation is that it is a permanent supply especially as you've had it for over a decade. A temporary supply will most likely only be 3kW whereas the default is 9kW.

A decade ago things were very different and unless the house was a new-build in most cases EdF would have just supplied the permanent connection and let you get on with it. That is even more likely if the house ever had any sort of supply in the past (this is what happened to me and my neighbour). These days getting a temporary supply is much more likely (but not a certainty in the Creuse).

The new meter is just part of their role-out programme and not relevant to this point.

Even if your supply is permanent you still need to have your installation checked by le consuel (see the Electrics FAQ for more information) to ensure that it is safe and meets the electrical code. That's the responsibility of your friend (or the electrician doing the work) and nothing to do with EdF or your supply. Your friend will still be able to sell or rent the house without l'attestation de conformité but it might be asked for nevertheless.

Dave
Administrator
Aug 2004
by RobertArthur • Thu 01 Sep 2011 15:24

I'm afraid things are a bit more complicated. You need Consuel (see also this info) for every new building or total renovation. Something different: the so called diagnostic de sécurité électrique obligatoire. Only for those selling a house, as information for possible buyers. The outcome of this diagnostic is not an obligation for the seller to upgrade his house. This is the official government information, and this is a summary on the Promotelec website. It is one of the many diagnostics obligatoires.

Having a permanent supply I would not argue with the EDF about the validity of their information in this specific case. Accept it with a smile. Inviting Consuel to get an attestation (not necessary!) would imply a total makeover of your installation électrique to conform with everything that has been written in the French electrical code, NFC 15-100. Including a consumer unit modern style, the GTL, with a separate unit - coffret de communication - for the communication infrastructure. Which comes at a price.

My advice would be, accepting the fact that this house has been earmarked as having a permanent connection to the ERDF power grid, to have all those diagnostics carried out. The outcome for the installation électrique will be that it is not in conformity with the new NF electrical code and its revisions. No surprise for a building of a certain age in probably a rural area. Happens every day, every hour. Possible buyers will use the results of these diagnostics as bargaining chips. Investing say 6000 or 9000 euros in upgrading the electrical installation will not prevent buyers to use other defects to get the price down. In other words: the return on investment will be (very) meagre. And new owners will probably have their own ideas about furnishing this house, bring walls down, reroute everything. Demolishing part of the brand new installation électrique. Some practical thoughts, nothing more, nothing less.

Kind regards,

Robert

RobertArthur
Mar 2009
by Dave • Thu 01 Sep 2011 15:44

You don't need the diagnostic de sécurité électrique obligatoire if the electrical installation is less than 15 years old (as it is in this case since 13 years ago there was nothing).

Further it has nothing to do with EdF and the temporary supply. It is a fairly basic survey that does little more that state the obvious (the installation is old and therefore might be improved) - it doesn't check for full conformity to the latest code but only for key features. It's just a report and whatever it says it doesn't stop you selling.

My advice is just to accept what ERDF say - that it is a permanent supply - and carry on with your plans to sell / rent and sort any other issues if they arise.

Dave
Administrator
Aug 2004
by flattop • Thu 01 Sep 2011 17:04

Wow, thanks for such quik and comprehensive replies. A great help but please do any anything more you may have to say. Cheers

flattop
Aug 2011
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions