Can I make my own Electricity ?
by garet • Wed 06 Oct 2010 22:12

I can only visit my very remote house in Creuse for 2 weeks of the year, but of course I have to pay for the EDF meter all year round , and since I am not there EDF can't read the meter and I end up paying too much by estimation. The new teleread meter sounds expensive, is there no prepayment "key meter" or card meter so I could pay for Electric as I use it ?
Are there rules about portable petrol generators ?
Would it pay me to be cut off from EDF and make my own electricity for lighting + appliances. I have no water heater ( no water !) 2 ring hob, kettle, fridge, microwave, radio etc.

garet
Oct 2010
Re: can I make my own Electricity ?
by fieldp • Thu 07 Oct 2010 00:56

Hi garet,
Believe it or not your appliances probably use 6kw if you have them all on together; thats a fair-size genny you need.
You would do better to do away with the hob, electric kettle and microwave and buy a gas cooker with an oven (run from bottled gas), you could then run everything with a 2kw generator which would be much cheaper both to buy and to run.
Hope this helps,
Patrick

Normandy, but heading for La Creuse!
fieldp
May 2009
Re: can I make my own Electricity ?
by Dave • Thu 07 Oct 2010 10:52

I'm not sure if France has pre-payment meters - I will look into it a bit (but if anyone knows please shout). I doubt this would work out much cheaper.

Yes you can generate your own electricity and / or use a generator to live "off grid" but in reality since you are already on the grid none of this would be cost effective for a two week stay each year - the capital expenditure wouldn't ever pay for itself, plus you'd have maintenance issues for batteries and the petrol & engine.

There are rules about (permanently wired in) generators and also micro generation, especially when connected to the grid at the same time. These are quite complex and you'll need to have a number of protection devices installed and the set-up tested before EdF will let you connect it up. Of course you can do what you like "off grid" but should nevertheless follow the code for your wiring, for your own safety if nothing else.

You can use a portable generator without any issue (except for not annoying folks with the noise).

Dave
Administrator
Aug 2004
Re: Can I make my own Electricity ?
by garet • Fri 08 Oct 2010 15:08

I think the minimum requirement is to power my 'fridge, my microwave and the lighting, could I get away with a 2KW gen set ?

garet
Oct 2010
by Dave • Fri 08 Oct 2010 17:03

I would imagine that that will be OK so long as they aren't all super powerful. Say 300watts for the fridge, 1000watss for the microwave on full power and three or four 100watt bulbs and you'd still have a little be of leeway on a 2KW generator.

Dave
Administrator
Aug 2004
by sscbristol • Fri 08 Oct 2010 17:18

Surely a genny would not be economic.

Firstly purchase price - say 200 euros.

Secondly consumption - If you are running a fridge and lights then you would want it on all day. Assuming a minimum of one litre per hour, that 24 litres a day and 336 litres in two weeks. Even cutting down to 12 hours a day is 168 litres.

At 1.30 euros per litre it would cost between 218 euros and 436 euros.

Cheaper to pay EDF

Tony
sscbristol
Oct 2004
by jimbo • Fri 08 Oct 2010 19:39

Why don't you do what I do I post my meter readings by internet on the edf site.As I'm not there for 6 to 8 months a year when the meter reader comes once a year as I pay monthly by direct debit they take my readings as good and cut my payments by half on what I paid last year.Hope it's a help.

Jimbo

jimbo
Jan 2008
by Dave • Mon 11 Oct 2010 11:10

As far as I can see, EdF do not offer prepayment or coin meters. They do have a thing called Service Relevé Confiance which allows you to get e-mail before you are billed, after which you have 9 days to send them your exact meter reading and they will then use this to bill you.

If you note down your reading before you leave, then you could easily use this service - give them that reading each time you get an email (until you go again). That way you will get billed only for the standing charge for all but the first invoice after your holiday. You can sign up on line.

Dave
Administrator
Aug 2004
by garet • Mon 11 Oct 2010 11:39

This came about because I am so rarely at the house and so EDF has not read the meter since 2002. I could not make their website login work for me in the UK, but I have now understood how to 'phone them from UK.

garet
Oct 2010
by Martin • Mon 10 Oct 2011 15:32

I had a sort of snotty letter from EDF because they hadn't viewed my meter for almost 3 years......but the letter eventually advised that if I photographed the meter reading and sent this to them they would be happy. Coincidentally I had taken a pic last time I was there to talk to them about it so I emailed pic to them last week and voila! 240 euro rebate/credit in post this morning! :-D

Martin & Roberta
Martin
Jun 2009
by lestroisours • Mon 10 Oct 2011 22:31

Not making our own electricity, but saving some, with our solar panels heating the water. Another rebate due this month.

“It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.” ~ Charles Darwin
lestroisours
Oct 2007
by smilespwp • Fri 14 Oct 2011 09:22

Chris

Solar panels - thermal I presume ?

If so, would like to talk to you sometime. Unfortunately, just returned to UK after a month in our house, getting new double glazed windows fitted.

Best regards

Brian
smilespwp
Apr 2007
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions