EDF Remote Consumption Readers
by smilespwp • Thu 23 Apr 2009 16:45

I'm sure I have read somewhere (even remember the cost 60 Euros, I think)of having a remote reading device fitted which allows the EDF meter reader to obtain your current reading by, I guess, placing a reading device adjacent to the device connected to your meter.

Having a walk round the village the other week, I noticed quite a number of "maison secondaire" dwellings seemed to have this little beige box fitted with it's feed cable routed into the building along with the EDF supply cables.

Somebody tell me I wasn't dreaming, and is it just a matter of arranging a rendevous with EDF to get one installed.

Should have asked someone in the village, but after the filming there, it all went quiet.

Best regards

Brian
smilespwp
Apr 2007
Re: EDF Remote Consumption Readers
by Dave • Thu 23 Apr 2009 17:17

You were not dreaming. It's called a téléreport.

Dave
Administrator
Aug 2004
by RobertArthur • Thu 23 Apr 2009 17:55

Dreaming of the future: there has been a call for tender by the EDF late january 2008. The replacement of all 35 million compteurs by a new young, smart and bright generation. EDF wants to replace all of the existing meters. The old wheel-style meters, and the modern digital boxes. Operation to be finished in 2015. Pilot projects in Lyon and Tours in 2010.

The spokesman of ERDF wants us to believe that our future bills will be lower, due to our greater insight in our energy consumption habits and the fact that the bills will be based on real consumption: << L'installation de compteurs intelligents permettra au client de maîtriser sa consommation électrique. Et ainsi, de faire diminuer la consommation globale d'électricité.>>

There are others - e.g. L'association de défense des consommateurs - who are afraid that in the end of the day the dear EDF clients are going to pay the bill for this enormous replacement effort. Total project budget: 4 to 5 milliard Euro's.

So your Remote Consumption Reader will probably be the victim of a little bit of investment erosion.

One of my French neighbours (Bourgondy) asked EDF for a price, and was told that it would be the standard fee of E 135 pour une intervention. Regional differences?

Robert

RobertArthur
Mar 2009
by Dave • Thu 23 Apr 2009 18:21

It maybe that they have put the price up. I had mine done for free (about 10 years back) my neighbour had to pay €60 about 4 or 5 years ago, so maybe today it is more.

Dave
Administrator
Aug 2004
by virtdave • Sun 10 May 2009 17:48

My neighbor (who is often absent), after being billed 800 euros for electricity imputed to him while his house was empty (and the main switch off), decided to have a téléreport installed. The EDF was just basing its facture on the assumption that he was using the same amount of electricity each month as he'd used in the month of August, during his presence. It's often referred to as a 'BTR' by the EDF folks, i.e., a Boîtier de Téléreport. I arranged it for him, but it seemed only possible to do so by going personally to the EDF office in Aubusson. There, the very nice functionnaire set up (not without surprising difficulty) a rendez-vous to have one installed. The EDF now seems to be composed of several local enterprises loosely connected by an inefficient and cumbersome bureaucracy. Eh bien. I met the technician at my neighbor's house, and all went smoothly after that.
My neighbor did manage to get the 800 euro charge reversed, after retaining a francophone lawyer, and undergoing not a little anxiety, since the EDF, though not so efficient in many areas, is pretty rapacious in its bill collecting. And the téléreport now does seem to function. I believe he paid the better part of 100 euros for the box and its installation.

virtdave
Sep 2008
by edmoraz • Sat 04 Sep 2010 21:28

My sister in law has one of these boxes (or something similar) she is however unable to open it to see the meter reading for herself and her last bill was massive even though she was not there for 3 months previous. Is there a key you can purchase to open the box and check your meter reading against the one on the EDF bill?

edmoraz
Feb 2008
by Dave • Sun 05 Sep 2010 10:23

The téléreport unit doesn't have a key - there is no display on it - it's a small plastic unit about the size of a mobile phone. The EdF guy just places a reader on it and picks up the information that is stored in the meter to which the unit is wired.

Your sister can read her consumption on the meter itself - to which you should have access.

Dave
Administrator
Aug 2004
by Creusebear • Sun 05 Sep 2010 10:42

We have just had a téléreport fitted to our house. Cost 140 euros.
I started with the English EDF information number from GB. Then I had to organise a planned telephone call from the engineer (at our neighbour's as we don't have a line). The engineer was polite and efficient (but no English) and we arranged a date for the work to be done (just after our return to UK). The cost included the replacement of the old wheel meter for a digital as it was no longer up to modern regs (even though it was the EDF who left it when they charged us for the reconnection of supply to the house not that long ago). I certainly feel like I have been made to pay twice for what the EDF should have upgraded for us in the first time but I am glad it has been done and that we do not have to rely on our neighbour to let the EDF in to read the meter.
I am practising my Gallic shrug. :wink:

Creusebear
May 2007
by virtdave • Sun 05 Sep 2010 11:14

Sorta like the BT in the UK (take a look here.), the EDF (now rechristened the ERDF) has relatively quickly morphed into a bunch of rapacious profiteers. We're fortunate that all the electrical work on our place here was done when the EDF was still reasonable. The BTR itself must cost them less than a few euros, and installing it is just a matter of hooking up a few wires--I watched the technician do it at our neighbors' place--which takes less than 20 minutes. But there's no way to avoid the ERDF when the work one needs requires shutting off the juice to the building.

virtdave
Sep 2008
by edmoraz • Sun 05 Sep 2010 13:16

I have just passed your advice on and she says she definitely does not have a meter in her house just this plastic box on the outside the people who she bought the house off said the meter was behind the plastic door and EDF had the key! Any ideas please.

edmoraz
Feb 2008
by Dave • Sun 05 Sep 2010 17:01

You can open these boxes with a large flat bladed screwdriver just push it against one side of the triangular post and turn it slowly.

You can also get a key from EdF in Guéret if you explain the situation - although I expect the keys are probably not free. They should have given the owner a key during the installation if that is the only access to the meter.

Dave
Administrator
Aug 2004
by edmoraz • Sun 05 Sep 2010 18:04

Thanks for that Dave I have emailed her the info and told her to join the site, she is in Cantal but I am sure we will not hold that against her as she is a nice woman.

edmoraz
Feb 2008
by Dave • Mon 06 Sep 2010 10:10

Sign her up. You don't have to live in the Creuse to be a member of Pont Noir and I believe that we already have other members from Cantal.

Dave
Administrator
Aug 2004
by garet • Wed 06 Oct 2010 22:24

"You can also get a key from EDF in Guéret if you explain the situation."
Last time I tried to find EDF in Gueret they were no longer there and I had to send my payment to Limoges. This was in 2008, please tell me EDF is back in Gueret.

Can I ask to have my meter in a box outside so EDF can read it? See my post under "new meters"

garet
Oct 2010
by Dave • Thu 07 Oct 2010 10:30

I thought that thy were still at

4 AVENUE DE LAURE
23000 Guéret

but I admit that it's been a while since I actually went there myself. You can always ring up and ask them to send you a key. As for paying the bill, it is much better to set up a prélèvement than go there every two months.

You don't need a meter outside but need a téléreport as detailed in the second post of this thread (this allows EdF to read the meter from the outside of the house).

Dave
Administrator
Aug 2004
by Jeanne • Thu 07 Oct 2010 13:46

the EDF (now rechristened the ERDF)
Said virtdave
Hope you don't mind but I understand that EDF and ERDF are separate. :)

ERDF covers the public works like poles etc, and also the gas side. :?

Jeanne
Jun 2010
by virtdave • Thu 07 Oct 2010 15:06

You're pretty much right, there is still the EDF, and the ERDF is apparently a relatively new sort-of subsidiary which is supposed to deal with distribution, and which can distribute electricity from other sources than the EDF. Friends of ours have had extremely annoying ERDF hassles trying to get their meter moved about 20m (the EDF no longer does this type of thing). After much time and effort they succeeded in getting a technician from the ERDF out, and received a dévis for 1500€ for what is really a trivial intervention. If you Google EDF ERDF you get a lotta hits, mostly links to horror stories about various miseries folks have had with them.

Here is an interesting link (in French).

virtdave
Sep 2008
by Jeanne • Thu 07 Oct 2010 15:59

We had major problems with ERDF in the south. They kept moving the goalposts every time and the final straw was when they asked for a further 14,000 Euros. None of the engineers seemed to agree or even talk to each other. Took over a year to resolve (we hope it is finished).

It made me scream on more than one occasion.

Jeanne
Jun 2010
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions