Books on French wiring
by sscbristol • Tue 23 Nov 2004 14:32

Hi all,

Does anyone know if there is such a thing as a book on French Wiring written in English. A bit much to expect, but my French is not up to much at the mo. :oops:

I am reasonably competent (although not qualified) with English wiring and have the general idea of the French system, but some nice diagrams with explanations in English would be so much help.

Tony

sscbristol
Oct 2004
Re: Books on wiring
by Dave • Wed 24 Nov 2004 06:15

As far as I know there isn't one in English. Check out the FAQ; it recommends a French one that's very diagrammatic. If you have any specific questions, post them here and I'll answer them if I can.

Dave
Administrator
Aug 2004
Re: Books on wiring
by sscbristol • Wed 24 Nov 2004 14:40

Thanks Dave. Will probably give the recommended book a go.

Tony

sscbristol
Oct 2004
Re: Books on French wiring
by smilespwp • Sat 06 Sep 2008 08:59

Just found the first book I purchased on French domestic electrical system (lost it and purchased on of Dave's recommendations L'installation Electrique).

In my opinion, this little 96 page book covers most aspects of what you will need answers to, with good graphical and pictorial information of the allowed and dis-allowed methods of installation and connection. Conforming to NF C 15-100

It is entitled "L'electricitie pas a pas", Author is Jean-Philippe Hartmann, ISBN2-7372-4119-7 and is currently available on Amazon.fr priced at 4 euros + PP.

When I bought it from Mr Bricolage in Limoges it was 5.90 Euros.

Don't know if Dave will want to (or be able to) review it but in my opinion not a bad buy at 4 Euros.

Looking at the publisher's web site they now seem to have the same title out by a different author, same 5.90 Euro price but I've not seen this one.

Publisher site is www.saep.fr and the alternative author is Dominique Bohn

Best regards

Brian
smilespwp
Apr 2007
by EnglishInFrance • Mon 18 Jan 2010 17:56

Hi guys, we are a English couple living and working in France, my wife is fluent French having done all her college and uni here, she is in the process of translating the latest version of the French regs, including all the updates, because the images etc take a little longer, several people have asked for a text only version as soon as its done, the full thing will be available soon after.

Anyone who would like a copy please send me your email address and i will email you when its finished.

EnglishInFrance
Jan 2010
by RobertArthur • Fri 30 Apr 2010 19:22

The Promotelec organisation does a good job in keeping us up to date with new developments. One of their bestsellers is "Locaux d'habitation". Today available in its 25th edition. In French, and 148 pages. It includes also all the three amendments of NF C 15-00, and special chapters on domotique and photovoltaïque.

Robert

RobertArthur
Mar 2009
by Peter_HMR • Tue 10 Aug 2010 18:02

I'm currently looking for a copy of the french wiring standards and was wonding if anyone ever found a copy in english.

Peter_HMR
Aug 2010
by RobertArthur • Thu 19 Aug 2010 10:47

The French wiring standards: the official NF C 15-100 regulations have never been translated. It's a book of more than 500 pages. But there are of course a lot of introductions in French, pour les bricoleurs. Some people have processed this copyright protected material, books or documentation on French websites, with website/pdf/doc translation tools. Site administrators don't like to see this kind of content or links on their websites. Perhaps to be found somewhere on the dark side of the internet.

Practical workaround is to print Dave's English introduction in French electrics and look at the pictures of this French introduction. It will show you step by step every room of your house and explain what's necessary to comply with the NF C 15-100 regulations.

Robert

RobertArthur
Mar 2009
by Jeanne • Thu 19 Aug 2010 11:36

To all would be electricians. Please ensure that your work is checked over by a good electrician (preferably one on recommendation and not from a mag)and please do not attempt to do it "the English way".

My husband is an electrician and has had to do countless amounts of jobs to make electrics safe. He has also had to refuse work because some people wanted him to do repairs on English electric installations - no way would he touch that.

If you follow the book L'Installation electrique by Thierry Gallauziaux carefully you don't need to understand French as the pictures are very self explanatory.

In saying that, please don't think we are looking for work, we are booked up months in advance LOL.

Jeanne
Jun 2010
by RobertArthur • Mon 30 Aug 2010 20:46

Peter,

Looking around to see if a possible third revised edition of the best book on French wiring practices, Le grand livre de l'électricité might be available, I noticed an English introduction: "Electricity in your French house". Brandnew: first edition, 26-08-2010. Perhaps this is what you're looking for.

Kind regards,

Robert

RobertArthur
Mar 2009
by RobertArthur • Fri 01 Apr 2016 05:19

Gone are the days of the electrician’s best friend, this little red bible of Promotelec, the little mémento rouge. Promotelec announced a new series called: "L’Officiel de l’électricité". Later this year two additional volumes. In September: “Installations électriques des bâtiments d’habitation existants”. And in November: “Installations électriques des bâtiments tertiaires”.

The old little red bible, Locaux d’habitation, used to be affordable with it's 18.50 euros, still for sale this 27th edition of 2013, but of course without the new "Amendement 5" regs of November 27th 2015. If you want to do some rewiring in an existing installation no hurry to buy this summary of the new French electrical code (47.50 euros, TTC). For total renovations and new builds probably useful for the professionals and experienced DIYs. After ordering and reading I'll report back here.

If you want to know what the recent changes are all about, read the on-line information of Promotelec, Hager, Schneider and others.

RobertArthur
Mar 2009
by Freezerbill • Fri 01 Apr 2016 08:22

Thanks for the updates RobertArthur

Freezerbill
Mar 2014
by RobertArthur • Mon 18 Apr 2016 16:34

Another update. I got the impression reading the announcement by Promotelec for their brandnew "Officiel de l'électricité" that this would be the end of our little friend, "Locaux d'habitation". I got it wrong with my interpretation of their not so crystal clear message: " Surtout, il vient remplacer la "Bible" de l'électricien, le mémento rouge relatif aux installations électriques privatives dans les locaux d'habitation."

There is finally a new 28th edition after three years, for sale right now. In their preview a clarification about three-phase wiring and the use of RCDs. The special interrupteur différentiel tétrapolaire only for real three-phase equipment, the rest behind regular single-phase IDs.

As for the other one, "Officiel de l'électricité" we'll have to wait until June this year. You can only pre-order it, to be able to include new changes of the regs when they start printing. This is what Promotelec has to say:
Remplissez le formulaire en ligne pour réserver votre ouvrage.
Promotelec vous recontactera à l'approche de la sortie de l'ouvrage pour concrétiser votre commande.

* sous réserve de parution de textes réglementaires en attente.

RobertArthur
Mar 2009
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions