Wiring halogen downlighters
by Brindy • Fri 16 Jan 2009 16:20

I intend to change our very poor single central bulb in the kitchen to a set of 6 or 8 halogen downlighters with low energy bulbs, from one switch. Is this permissible and do I just daisy chain the the lights from the first.

Brindy
Jan 2009
Re: Wiring halogen downlighters
by blaudeix • Fri 16 Jan 2009 18:20

Hi and welcome :wink:

I assume you mean 240v lights? if so then yes just daisy chain then together, but officially the maximum number of lights from one breaker is 8 and I doubt that your kitchen light has its own breaker.
I know... but I didn't make the rules... :roll:

Minimum size for a septic tank (fosse septique) is 3000 litres. All installations must conform to DTU64.1 The S.P.A.N.C. technician will verify this. A principle piece is a room without water larger than 7 metres square.
blaudeix
Nov 2006
by Brindy • Sat 17 Jan 2009 13:47

Hi and welcome :wink:

I assume you mean 240v lights? if so then yes just daisy chain then together, but officially the maximum number of lights from one breaker is 8 and I doubt that your kitchen light has its own breaker.
I know... but I didn't make the rules... :roll:
Said blaudeix
Thanks for the welcome blaudeix!
Quite right , for some unexplained reason I have 11 lights on that particular circuit!!!
However I have rearranged things in the tableau and have a couple spare so will dedicate one to the new kitchen lights.

Brindy
Jan 2009
by RobertArthur • Tue 21 Apr 2009 14:57

Brindy,

Always interesting to see what the French NF normes have to say and what further "clarifications" there are around.

Indeed, only 8 lights are allowed.The French code states:

Nombre de points d'éclairage alimentés par un même circuit, il est limité à 8. So at first sight it looks if only eight bulbs are allowed behind one disjoncteur (generally 10A, max 16A) or coupe circuit (fuse of 10A) with a section des conducteurs de 1,5 mm2

But one "point d'éclairage" is not he same as one bulb. Some textbooks use a slightly other definition, and speak about nombre de points d'utilisation. And that brings us to the department Recommandations et commentaires, where e.g. on the Schneider website the following comment has been added to this 8 points max rule:

Spots ou bandeaux lumineux = 1 point d'éclairage par tranche de 300 VA dans la même pièce.

So your halogen downlighters can be considered as one point d'éclairage, as long as their total power consumption does not exceed 300 VA, and are fitted in the same room.

Reasoning for this: standard switches have not been designed and constructed to carry heavy currents, so to prevent possible overheating due to contact resistance, and to prolong switch life expectancy, the regulator sets a limit to the maximum power to be switched. And feeding these 8 points d'éclairage with a 10 Amp disjoncteur gives you 2300 VA of power, about the same amount as 8 x 300 VA. Nice coincidence.

Robert

RobertArthur
Mar 2009
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions