How cold is Creuse!
by Creusebear • Sun 23 Dec 2007 22:05

Just back from a week in Creuse.... God it was cold! Spent the first night at the house, which was an idea bordering on the insane, and in the morning - after we had defrosted - fled to the comfort, and warmth, of a nearby hostelry. Never even gave insulation a thought during the balmy, if wet weeks of summer but now it is right at the top of my to do list! Apart from that it was a great week away, with good company from our neighbours, lovely food and some things accomplished. Even went to the Foire de Noel at D le P, got there a little early and probably missed the full effect but the memory of the art of the coconut stall (with accompanying birdsong) will stay with me for some time. Also picked up a copy of Creuse News which I hadn't seen before. Back in Blighty now but wishing I could spend Christmas over there - maybe next year. Anyway have a good Yuletide everyone!

Creusebear
May 2007
Re: How cold is Creuse!
by james419 • Mon 24 Dec 2007 06:32

Still freezing here - going to Chrismas Market in La Cahtre this morning for last minute bits - have a happy christmas and new year and make sue you get the insulation sorted so you can have Christmas down here next year

Best wishes for Christmas and a Healthy 2008 - thast goes to everyone else as well

James & Ruth

james419
Sep 2005
by Goose • Mon 24 Dec 2007 10:56

Mmmm, it's been very cold and frosty for about a couple of weeks now though with lovely sunny days. This was changed on Saturday afternoon and evening with the first rain for a while, then havoc was caused by more freezing temperatures overnight causing the roads both yesterday and today to resemble skating rinks until the sun warms them up a bit. It's lovely for going on dog-walks in the afternoons. Nice and crunchy and very exhilarating - and lovely and cosy in the evenings in front of the log fire.

We went to Ahun this morning for their extra market of the week and now I'm at home to do the shortbread/cake/meringues baking and Terry has gone off for some last minute shopping that I was told we couldn't do together!!!

Repeating the wishes of Ruth and James, we wish everyone a happy and healthy Christmas and New Year.

Goose
Mar 2005
by Creusebear • Wed 26 Dec 2007 18:12

I saw them setting up for the Christams market in La Chatre. Was it good? What kind of stuff were they selling? I hope to have more time to visit next year. I understand there was a nice one in Gueret too. Anyway Christmas is done, family fed, too much wine drunk,kids up to their armpits in consumer must-haves and baying for batteries (why do I never have the right one?). Roll on New Year's Eve.

Creusebear
May 2007
by FionaFrance • Mon 31 Dec 2007 14:51

Hi Creusebear/ one and all

We made the market at La Chatre on Christmas Eve, and yes, it was lovely. A mix of stuff really - lots of fresh stuff, especially seafood - we avoided the huîtres, ony to be presented with a bag by our neighbours later that evening! :lol: We were very brave and ate some!

There were also various wine and beer sellers - got an interesting (and strong) Christmas beer - and things like yummy caramelised nuts and of course pains d'épices.

And gifty stuff and clothes too. And there was vin chaud to be had and there were even pipers piping and ladies dancing (though I didn't count them!). And Père Noël was there too - funny, I thought he'd have been a bit busy to make it.

Our first Cresue Christmas was wonderful all in all - not least because a trip to a large supermarket two days before Christmas was completely stress-free - lots of space in the car park and NO QUEUES at the tills. That's a reason for spending every Christmas in France if you ask me.

Happy new year to one and all and here's to lots of lovely trips to the Creuse in 2008 - hope to start meeting up with some of you in the year ahead!

Fiona & Alan

FionaFrance
Oct 2007
by FionaFrance • Mon 31 Dec 2007 14:52

Hi Creusebear/ one and all

We made the market at La Chatre on Christmas Eve, and yes, it was lovely. A mix of stuff really - lots of fresh stuff, especially seafood - we avoided the huîtres, ony to be presented with a bag by our neighbours later that evening! :lol: We were very brave and ate some!

There were also various wine and beer sellers - got an interesting (and strong) Christmas beer - and things like yummy caramelised nuts and of course pains d'épices.

And gifty stuff and clothes too. And there was vin chaud to be had and there were even pipers piping and ladies dancing (though I didn't count them!). And Père Noël was there too - funny, I thought he'd have been a bit busy to make it.

Our first Cresue Christmas was wonderful all in all - not least because a trip to a large supermarket two days before Christmas was completely stress-free - lots of space in the car park and NO QUEUES at the tills. That's a reason for spending every Christmas in France if you ask me.

Happy new year to one and all and here's to lots of lovely trips to the Creuse in 2008 - hope to start meeting up with some of you in the year ahead!

Fiona & Alan

FionaFrance
Oct 2007
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions