dodging another weather bullet...maybe
by virtdave • Mon 20 Feb 2017 17:43

For those who wish to keep posted about the weather 6000 miles away: California is getting hosed. The tallest dam in the USA (Oroville) is holding, so far, tho last week 180,000 people were temporarily evacuated when it looked like it might burst. Living downstream from it (far from our place here) sounds really scary. Our main access road is down to one shaky lane, and may not make it thru the current fierce storm. We had thunder and lightning last night, very rare for this region, and many have lost their electricity. I've checked out my generator, and we're buckled down. The volunteer fire dept is out clearing down lines and trees.

virtdave
Sep 2008
Re: dodging another weather bullet...maybe
by RobertArthur • Mon 20 Feb 2017 18:28

Dave, I've been following the developments in the San Francisco Chronicle: no easy solution for lake Oroville's spillway problem. Going back to the late sixties where studensts of Technical Universities took note of two maintenance approaches: the American and the French way of doing things. Preventive, proactive maintenance vs. reactive maintenance. Only if a component stops functioning you replace it. It looks like the French have exported their maintenance model to the U.S.A. in combination with built-in design problems. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you and all the others who have to cope with these extreme weather conditions.

Regards, Robert

RobertArthur
Mar 2009
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions