La Canicule!
by sevy1 • Fri 26 Jun 2015 18:31

Looks like the Creuse is in for a heatwave next week daytime temperatures reaching 35 or 36 degrees depending which site you use. I will be at home in the North of England but get ready all you residents for what could be the hottest spell of the year.
Sevy
Looks like no grass left again this year!

sevy1
Sep 2013
Re: La Canicule!!!!
by edmoraz • Wed 01 Jul 2015 02:59

Less to cut hopefully when we get there in September, we are not far behind them here in southport with the temps.

edmoraz
Feb 2008
by Jeanne • Sun 05 Jul 2015 16:37

Certainly is a canicule. Depending on where you are located it varies between 30 and 40C. Although its not so much the heat but the humidity. You melt doing absolutely nothing. Still set to carry on for another week apparently at least. Some of my plants have burnt. C'est la vie, too hot, too cold or too wet!

Jeanne
Jun 2010
by virtdave • Sun 26 Jul 2015 12:54

according to this recent map, Creuse has been relatively fortunate during this heat and drought--all the surrounding départements have at least drought warnings, and some have rather severe watering restrictions. I've never seen it drier here, in almost 30 years, and our well, from which we usually can draw for garden watering, is almost dry. I feel unreasonably responsible for having perhaps imported the drought from California, where it's even worse.

virtdave
Sep 2008
by virtdave • Sun 26 Jul 2015 23:03

For some reason the link to propluvia won't open for me tonite...will try again tomorrow. The link I posted was from an article in Le Figaro..
We had our farmer neighbors over for dinner tonite--they said that as of today there were restrictions on water use in Creuse, but I'd like to know the details. For instance, when (if ever) can one water one's flowers? I think car washing is now out.

virtdave
Sep 2008
by virtdave • Mon 27 Jul 2015 13:38

I did get Dave's link to work today, and it's sure mighty different from the one I initially proposed, in fact it indicates that Creuse is the most severely affected département in France. "My" map, the one proposed by Le Figaro, doesn't even identify Creuse by number, it just appears greyed out (typical Parisian disdain for this agricultural region?)...also, on Freezerbill's link, if one opts for "restrictions par zone", it shows the propluvia map, same one that Dave linked. So really, Creuse is very severely hit indeed. The neighbor I mentioned above, who keeps very close tabs on the drought, since he's a farmer, told us the draconian restrictions just started yesterday. Fortunately, rain is predicted for the very near future.....let's hope so,

virtdave
Sep 2008
by Deleted User 1427 • Mon 27 Jul 2015 13:41

Do you have a link showing restrictions for the creuse please?

Deleted User 1427
by virtdave • Mon 27 Jul 2015 13:59

The legend to the right of the propluvia map indicates that all of Creuse, as of now, is in
"Crise : Arrêt des prélèvements non prioritaires y compris des prélèvements à des fins agricoles. Seuls les prélèvements permettant d'assurer l'exercice des usages prioritaires sont autorisés (santé, sécurité civile, eau potable, salubrité)", i.e., pretty much no watering at all, except for use related to health, drinking water, etc. In California, restaurants no longer offer water unless begged to do so, and it's now considered quite polite to refrain from toilet flushing after peeing.

virtdave
Sep 2008
by Deleted User 1427 • Mon 27 Jul 2015 14:13

Now I see it, thanks

Deleted User 1427
by Annik • Tue 28 Jul 2015 22:17

Can't you use your own water to water your own vegetables? Our well water is definitely non-potable. We pump it up into tanks in the barn hayloft and use this height as a head for watering via hosepipes. The lawn is brown and crackles when you walk on it; we have certainly never seen anything so bad. But the local étangs are full. It's very odd.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. (Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.)" Groucho Marx
Annik
Jun 2007
by Annik • Wed 29 Jul 2015 10:36

Addendum to the above post: We have just had 8mm of rain during the night and it's still raining gently...

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. (Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.)" Groucho Marx
Annik
Jun 2007
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions