birds and spring
by critch • Mon 14 Apr 2014 17:22

Not that I have an OCD which makes me note these things down, but first hearings/sighting of cuckoos and swallows have both been exactly twenty days (three weeks in old money) earlier this year than in 2013.

critch
Mar 2013
Re: birds and spring
by Dave • Wed 16 Apr 2014 16:43

It's because it's much milder this year I expect but perhaps there is a natural variation anyway. First bird sounds and sights of the year is cool thing to record.

Dave
Administrator
Aug 2004
by Creusebear • Fri 18 Apr 2014 18:46

I heard a cuckoo last week too - I think it is the first one I've heard since I was a child - and that's a while ago!

Creusebear
May 2007
by virtdave • Fri 18 Apr 2014 22:37

Cuckoos are regular announcers of spring at St-Georges-Nigremont--hope they're still singing when we return next month.

virtdave
Sep 2008
by Annik • Tue 22 Apr 2014 23:52

We have wonderful nightingales here but the sweet little wood where they sing has been grubbed up over the past few weeks as part of a move to make the local fields bigger and more user-friendly for big agricultural vehicles. We very much hope they will find a new perch for their magical nightly seranades.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. (Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.)" Groucho Marx
Annik
Jun 2007
by David_J • Wed 23 Apr 2014 11:36

Hi Annik,
I hope they move to me - we must be near. My farmer neighbour has radically increased the size of his machinery and can no longer 'clean' (mow, dry. bale and remove the grass from) my two paddocks which are becoming forests.
David

David_J
Aug 2006
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions