Weather over last 3 weeks in Creuse
by Annik • Wed 22 Jun 2011 19:59

We had to go back to England to deal with a family crisis on June 4 and are returning on June 24. We asked our kind French neighbour to water the garden and potager for us. Could anyone tell us what sort of weather there has been in the Chenerailles area so that we know whether to buy her a fairly lavish present if it has been boiling hot and she has been slaving away nightly over a hot hosepipe (using pumped water from the well) or a less generous one if she has just watched the rain come down and not needed to do anything.

Thanks!

Annik

PS: We did say she could eat whatever she fancied in the garden that was ripe, so it wasn't such a bad deal...

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. (Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.)" Groucho Marx
Annik
Jun 2007
Re: Weather over last 3 weeks in Creuse
by sscbristol • Thu 23 Jun 2011 09:14

Well in our part of La Creuse it has been on average, much cooler than May with showers, periods of overcast and drizzle and a couple of heavy downpours. Not loads of rain but enough to keep the garden going. We have only had to water our pots and one or two newish shrubs in dry spots under trees.

I would say an average gift by way of a thank you for agreeing to do it. He wont have worked that hard

Tony
sscbristol
Oct 2004
by David_J • Thu 23 Jun 2011 09:18

Hi Annik
I am close to you and it has been an 'English' June. As in cold, wet and rainy. After April and May, very disappointing. I agree with ssc, an average gift would be adequate.
regards
David_J

David_J
Aug 2006
by Annik • Sat 25 Jun 2011 23:56

Thanks everyone!

UPDATE: The windowbox flowers which we'd put on the terrace for watering, and the plants in the potager and back garden, looked great (though we've got lots of weeding to do), so I ended up giving our friend a large tin of Scottish shortbread and a box of chocolates. She seemed very happy with that.

She'd eaten all the lettuces, and replaced them by planting some more of our baby ones out, and also had the remains of the strawberry crop which before we left for England had been yielding at least a dozen strawberries each morning to eat with our breakfast cereal.

The enormous crop of raspberries was nearly over but I managed to picks lots that were still OK, and the red-currants had gone berserk. I got more than 3 kilos from one bush this afternoon. It took more than an hour to pick them and well over another hour to prepare them for cooking and freezing. Has everyone else had a glut of soft fruit?

Annik

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. (Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.)" Groucho Marx
Annik
Jun 2007
by Lynn • Sun 03 Jul 2011 20:18

We have had tons of raspberries, strawberries and gooseberries but our currant bushes have failed almost completely, due to the dry weather earlier on whilst we weren't here! Most of our trees are the same, apart from the peach tree which is by the house and gets watered with washing-up water regularly!
We have had virtually no rain since mid-April, our 8 water butts have never been full yet this year, most unusual, but we keep hoping. Rain will be guaranteed this coming week in London though, as I am off to Hampton Court Garden Show on Weds!!

Lynn
Apr 2008
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions