Storm
by Creusebear • Sat 03 Jul 2010 23:07

I hear there was quite a storm in Creuse on Friday. Has there been any damage?

Creusebear
May 2007
Re: Storm
by virtdave • Sun 04 Jul 2010 00:00

As of midnight, not much in St-Georges-Nigremont. I spent the day southwest of Limoges, where it didn't rain at all, but others attending the same event I did (a Big Wedding) said that trains out of Paris were significantly delayed by flooding, and coming back this evening, there were some locally heavy downpours near Aubusson. Nothing catastrophic, but intense.

virtdave
Sep 2008
by Jeanne • Sun 04 Jul 2010 10:46

Near Gueret we were hardly affected. Hardly any rain, bit of thunder and lightning and that was it.

Jeanne
Jun 2010
by maryr • Sun 04 Jul 2010 15:57

Around 7pm on Friday plenty of rain in La Celle Dunoise and hailstones the size of marbles - no major damage apart from a few dents in car roofs. Then during the night there was a massive thunder and lightening storm but not so much rain - heard some people'w phones were damaged. Memories of the bad storm two years ago came to mind but thankfully that didn't materialise!

maryr
Nov 2007
by Creusebear • Sun 04 Jul 2010 16:34

Phew - I was just wondering whether to ring up our neighbour to see if there was any damage to our roof. After last winter's burst pipe I don't want any surprises!
Thanks

Creusebear
May 2007
by virtdave • Sun 04 Jul 2010 17:55

I've mentioned this before, but it may be worth repeating----unplug your livebox (particularly the telephone line connection) if there's a chance of lightning. I've fried one, and an internal modem.

virtdave
Sep 2008
by Creusebear • Sun 04 Jul 2010 18:32

virtdave, is there any benefit to turning off the electricity altogether during a storm?

Creusebear
May 2007
by virtdave • Mon 05 Jul 2010 00:32

I don't turn everything off, but I do unplug electronics. Of course, the main circuit breaker often turns everything off for me if lightning hits close by, so if we're gonna be away for a while, I ask a neighbor to drop by to reset it, to keep stuff in my freezer from thawing.

virtdave
Sep 2008
by Annik • Mon 05 Jul 2010 09:15

We went shopping at Guéret on Friday afternoon and there was a tremendous thunderstorm while we were in Carrefour. When we came to leave the rain was still torrentential and the car park was covered with puddles. As it was such a hot day people had set off to go shopping in the skimpiest of clothes and footwear, and it was those who had to cross the car park in flip-flops who were particularly upset!

We were concerned about the cut hay in our field but when we got back to our home near Chénérailles there hadn't been any rain at all!

Annik

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. (Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.)" Groucho Marx
Annik
Jun 2007
by oldbill • Mon 05 Jul 2010 10:31

Don't forget to put a towel over the mirrors :)

The older I get, the better I was.
oldbill
Feb 2006
by TournesolKate • Mon 05 Jul 2010 18:20

It must have bypassed us here in Franséches. We only had a bit of rain and some distant thunder.

Erm, towel? Mirrors? Pourquoi?

TournesolKate
Oct 2008
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions