Message from Noah's Ark
by Annik • Sat 12 Jun 2010 23:49

What about this rain? We have had 80mm since June 6 and there is no sign of it stopping. Our new vegetable patch is half under water; the plastic bottles we inserted into the ground to enable us to water the roots of the tomato plants show that the water table is right up to the level of the soil! A good description of the soil would be that it is like raw chocolate cake mix when you have it in the Kenwood Chef...

Today we decided to work on the area round our lavoir for a change. It has always been wet there and although we have improved the drainage if we stood in one place for more than 30 seconds or so we sank about 3 inches. Still, we got the testosterone going by cutting down a tree to provide more light.

At one point I said to my OH, "Look at that pretty rainbow over there; it must be raining somewhere." About ten minutes later it was raining torrentially over us and we had to beat a hasty retreat back into the house!

Annik

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. (Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.)" Groucho Marx
Annik
Jun 2007
Re: Message from Noah's Ark
by alldown • Tue 15 Jun 2010 09:55

Sorry but the weather is probably our fault. We brought it over from England last week :roll:

alldown
Sep 2005
by Lynn • Tue 15 Jun 2010 20:25

Well, it has poured down here tonight, so much so that it obscured the TV satellite, much to my husband's disgust as he was just settling down to watch the UK news!
Looks a bit better now, but the forecast isn't brilliant for this week at all.

Lynn
Apr 2008
by Goose • Wed 16 Jun 2010 15:20

Thank goodness we live three kms high up and away from the River Creuse at Moutier D'Ahun! The river has burst it banks (again) and is well over the huge flat stone that people picnic on and into the gardens of the houses by the river and will soon be covering the nearest road. The fields along towards the Au Beau Rivage are flooded too - amazing for June. This is March's sort of rain.

Had no problems with TV reception but our roses have had their petals dashed to the ground and the gorgeous smelling pinks are totally flattened, poor things. However, the pond is full ! There's a bright side to most things but that's the only one I can think of right now ......

In the South of France there has been flash flooding and about eleven people killed. Saw cars crashing down the hills in the deluge (on the news today). It looks dreadful so I guess we are very lucky compared to those poor folk.

Sorry for those of you down at your homes and on holiday here too. At least those of us who live here permanently know that we'll eventually be enjoying hot sunshine. Well, I think we will.

Goose
Mar 2005
by Lynn • Wed 16 Jun 2010 22:39

Bring on that hot sunshine, please.
You're right though, we are so much luckier than those people down in the south, it's hard to imagine how terrifying that must be for them.

Lynn
Apr 2008
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions