Iceland's revenge
by virtdave • Thu 15 Apr 2010 18:56

The wire services indicate many airports in northern Europe are closed due to the volcanic ash spewed out in Iceland, and reportedly Eurostar is grabbing this opportunity to jack up their fares. Anyone have more information about this? I do hope it's not a problem in mid-May, when we plan to fly in to CDG...

virtdave
Sep 2008
Re: Iceland's revenge
by Lynn • Thu 15 Apr 2010 19:33

Crikey, if it goes on until mid-May all the airlines will be bankrupt! It's just until the ash has cleared, so hopefully at the latest by after the w/e, so they just said on the news but might be as early as tomorrow they can start flying again.

Lynn
Apr 2008
by Annik • Thu 15 Apr 2010 19:38

I don't think the airports will be closed until May! There is a series of maps at the bottom of this report which shows the extent and expected extent of the ash cloud:

Scroll down the report until you find it. There are five maps in all.

Annik

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. (Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.)" Groucho Marx
Annik
Jun 2007
by edmoraz • Fri 16 Apr 2010 00:04

The sky is spooky without the vapour trails on them and it is quiet I don't think you notice the sound/visual pollution until it is no longer there.

edmoraz
Feb 2008
by Annik • Fri 16 Apr 2010 09:02

Hi Virtdave

There's some more news about the French aspect here.

I hope that your trip to France won't be affected. We have just has a crisis in England that we can't go back to deal with under the current circumstances...

Annik

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. (Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.)" Groucho Marx
Annik
Jun 2007
by virtdave • Wed 21 Apr 2010 18:16

It looks that although it's still pretty chaotic at European airports, my daughter, scheduled to return from a trip to Ireland tomorrow, may not be terribly hassled. The New York Times website has an interactive map showing the current status of air travel in Europe, which suggests that most airports there are at least mostly open....though the fact that they initially showed Shannon as being in Wales, then corrected it by placing it in Cork, makes one wonder how accurate it is.....now, the map at least does show it correctly......
If there are no new geographical or political catastrophes, we should get to Creuse next month in time to plant the dahlias.

virtdave
Sep 2008
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions