Another storm - 27 Feb 2010
by Goose • Sat 27 Feb 2010 14:02

I thought the storm we had on Thursday night was bad enough - it dislodged a ridge tile and Terry had to climb out onto the roof this morning to deal with it (I have silent nightmares when he's up there). I held the ladder, which was the best I could do.

However, my friend Ruthie told me another is due tonight and sure enough, today it is all over the French m├ęteo and weather forecast sites. High winds starting from about 85km/h and progressing to 120km/h are likely from between 9pm tonight and 9pm tomorrow, so batten down the hatches! Closer to the coast they're forecast to reach 140km/h so we should thank our lucky stars we're inland!

Here's hoping our homes are all wrapped up safely enough.

Goose

Goose
Mar 2005
Re: Another storm due tonight (27th)
by Annik • Sat 27 Feb 2010 14:59

Dear Goose

Thank you very much for the warning (and the news about the previous storm). When it's all over we will have to check with the kind people who look after our house to see if all is well. Having lost some barn roof last year, and having had lots of subsequent fun with the insurance company and roofer, we have our fingers firmly crossed that here will not be a repetition.

Good luck, everyone!

Annik

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. (Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.)" Groucho Marx
Annik
Jun 2007
by thewrights • Sat 27 Feb 2010 16:10

Thanks Goose! I hadn't heard about this . . . Ian is battening down our hatches as I write!! Thursday was horrible - and if tonight's going to be worse we may well not get much sleep . . Keeping everything crossed for all of us.
Best wishes, and thanks again
Michelle

"When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hang on." - Thomas Jefferson
thewrights
Oct 2007
by handyjack23 • Sat 27 Feb 2010 18:00

Can you and Goose tell us about Thursday's storm? What happened? I must say I forgot to look at the Pontnoir weather forecast and only read in general about bad weather in Europe as a whole.

handyjack23
Aug 2007
by thewrights • Sat 27 Feb 2010 20:30

Hi Annik
I don't know how much the weather varied from one area to another last Thursday . . . but here the storm passed virtually overhead. Loads of lightning, thunder etc. We also had very high gusting winds, and lashing rain / hail - both on the front and on the back of the house at the same time - quite how I don't know!
No damage to our property, fortunately. Our slate roof seemed to cope OK, but several neighbours have missing and slipped tiles, much as Goose described.
Hope that you escaped damage too!
Best wishes, Michelle

"When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hang on." - Thomas Jefferson
thewrights
Oct 2007
by crendell • Sun 28 Feb 2010 11:23

How bad was last night's storm? We are stuck in England at the moment and its very worrying to hear about storms when you can't be there to make sure everything is okay. Our place is in a deep valley, but we had a large tree come down over christmas. We dread to think what our place looks like now!
Dave and Carla :(

crendell
Aug 2009
by jimbo • Sun 28 Feb 2010 13:05

Can anybody let me know how bad was last nights storm especially in Bonnat Pierrecouverte area as we're in Egypt until next month and Creuse news is sparce.
Jimbo :?:

jimbo
Jan 2008
by thewrights • Sun 28 Feb 2010 14:04

Can only say what it was like here (St Georges la Pouge). Lost power for 12 hours. VERY high winds, not gusting, just a permanent roar. Lots of roof damage in the village, and we lost a tree. Polytunnel survived though !! Loads of debris about - will let you know more when communications are back to full functioning - power is coming and going just now.
best wishes all,
Michelle

thewrights
Oct 2007
by crendell • Sun 28 Feb 2010 17:18

Wow sounds like it's been really bad out there. Our place is near Naillat. We have tried to contact our neighbours but without success yet.
thanks for the information
Regards
Dave and Carla

:(

crendell
Aug 2009
by Maria2009 • Sun 28 Feb 2010 17:58

I think we got off lightly in our area (near Benevant L'Abbaye). A few things blown around but all our roofs are intact and not much debris in the village. Hope everyone else did not suffer too much damage.

Maria2009
Apr 2009
by thewrights • Mon 01 Mar 2010 11:31

All back to normal . . . hope everyone escaped any damage. Here's a link to the article in La Montagne.

Best wishes, Michelle

thewrights
Oct 2007
Re: Another storm - 27 Feb 2010
by Annik • Mon 01 Mar 2010 13:08

Thanks very much for that link - I didn't know you could access "La Montagne" on line. There were lots of other interesting stories there too, although I do find French journalese hard to understand. I suppose intermediate standard English speakers would have equal trouble with the stuff I used to churn out myself!

We haven't heard from our neighbours but as we are quite near Cressat, which seems to have had its electricity cut off because of a fallen tree, they might not be able to receive emails.

Annik

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. (Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.)" Groucho Marx
Annik
Jun 2007
by Goose • Mon 01 Mar 2010 15:17

I just wrote a long reply then a power cut lost it all before I could post it! I'll try again.

Saturday's storm hadn't arrived by the time we went to bed so we thought it had missed us. However, the noise of the wind woke me up at 3.45am. It was so noisy it sounded like a train was hurtling by the front of our house and our bedroom. It made my heartbeat double so I visited the bathroom to calm me then went back to bed. However, I coudn't settle so got up again, had a quick splash to my face and went downstairs (Terry mumbling for me not to be so noisy).

It was so bright downstairs that I thought we must have left a light on but it was the huge moon shining through the velux in the kitchen. It wasn't raining at that point, just tremendously windy and I could hear things going bang in the night. However, the power kept going off then coming on, then going off and coming on and each time the phone kept tinkling to say it was back again - don't know why that didn't disturb Terry!

When the power was on I quickly made a jug of coffee as I don't like to be without a cup of good strong coffee in the mornings and poured it into a flask then did the same with boiled water. Thought it might be handy.

Soon the moonlight dimmed then disappeared and the rain started to lash down. I kept my fingers crossed that the velux was good and strong - it was. I must have nodded off about 6am - the last time I checked the clock and woke up just over an hour later when I heard Terry moving about above me.

He went out to let the geese out and to see if we'd suffered any damage and came back to say that the pergola that we'd fitted at the end of the summer had been blown down but that it seemed to be all of our damage this time but that our neighbour (but one's) garage/outbuilding's roof was in a crumpled heap in the field just beyond our garden.

We were extremely lucky to have so little damage. I drove into Ahun this morning and in the smaller square where there is a florist which usually has their plants and things outside, there were lots of smashed tiles on the ground and a people-carrier with its windscreen covered with lots of crazy smashes all over it - and some red tile dust, making it clear what had happened. Lots of tree debris along the roads and several trees and branches broken or blown right over.

We had frequent power-cuts through much of yesterday but it is better today - except for earlier!
Shall post this now before I lose it again.

Goose

Goose
Mar 2005
by handyjack23 • Mon 01 Mar 2010 18:37

Thank you for taking the time to write that account, Goose. We are very pleased that you had no major problems.

handyjack23
Aug 2007
by thewrights • Mon 01 Mar 2010 19:22

Glad to hear you got away with relatively little damage, Goose. It's all such a lottery, isn't it? Here's to the coming Spring and some normal weather!

thewrights
Oct 2007
by Annik • Mon 01 Mar 2010 20:47

Thank you for the progress report! We're very pleased you are OK. We have heard that our village didn't have any problems, other than power cuts, thank goodness.

Annik

Annik
Jun 2007
by Chompers • Tue 02 Mar 2010 14:05

Hi Everybody,

I haven't posted for quite some time but just wanted to say thanks for the weather updates and info. We are coming over on Friday for a week, so have everything crossed that all is ok, but fully expect to have some repaires to do. Looks like we will need the winter gear with us.

Thanks again

Chompers

Chompers
Jan 2008
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions