What's the weather in the Creuse?
by Annik • Thu 24 Dec 2009 12:25

I could hardly believe my eyes when I looked at the weather forecast on Pontnoir and saw that today, Thursday, Dec 24, is due to be 51F/11C maximum and 35F/2C minimum in the Creuse. At 11.15am here in Cheshire it's 35F/2C and our garden, village pavements and side roads are like skating rinks. It's so unusual for it to be warmer in central France than over here in Blighty.

I hope that everyone in the Creuse is basking in the predicted temperature and that no out-of-the-way hamlets are cut off or freezing their socks off. Fingers crossed for you all for the rest of the winter!

Have a very merry Christmas and a happy New Year, everyone.

Annik

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. (Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.)" Groucho Marx
Annik
Jun 2007
Re: What's the weather in the Creuse?
by thewrights • Thu 24 Dec 2009 22:08

Yes, it really is very mild here just now!! We went to bed on the 22nd with deep snow outside and woke up the next morning to not a drop! A bit of a mercy, really, because it's made it so much easier for our family travelling down. Though I have a feeling it won't last long and we'll be back to chilly toes and fingers . .

Wishing you all a very happy Christmas, wherever you are!
Michelle

[The extension gif has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

"When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hang on." - Thomas Jefferson
thewrights
Oct 2007
by james419 • Sat 26 Dec 2009 22:58

-2.6 again now - nice clear night though

james419
Sep 2005
by edmoraz • Sun 27 Dec 2009 10:49

As usual its raining here in Northern England.

ps love the snow blob Michelle it made me laugh. :lol: :lol:

edmoraz
Feb 2008
by Creusebear • Sun 27 Dec 2009 12:32

All the snow has gone here (M25 land) now and the sky is blue, although they are threatening another freeze for New Year.
Snowblob is fab - the first good laugh I've had all Christmas - what a great expression!

Creusebear
May 2007
by edmoraz • Mon 28 Dec 2009 11:02

Well its finally stopped raining here only to be replaced by a pea soup of a fog.

edmoraz
Feb 2008
by james419 • Mon 28 Dec 2009 17:06

Back to rain!

james419
Sep 2005
by dikdok • Mon 28 Dec 2009 20:21

Well, they've been having -16 in the Scottish Highlands the last week. Makes the Creuse seem positively Mediterranean. We had it down to -5 in Notts and it felt much colder than similar temperatures do in the Creuse, maybe because it's drier over there. I wish I was in France now - we'd planned to see the New Year in but cancelled the trip due to an ankle injury - I thought it would be dangerous in the snow , but it's been worse here in the UK :x :x :evil:

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the great ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
dikdok
Jun 2005
by Annik • Thu 01 Apr 2010 12:53

After hearing the birdies singing and admiring the daffodils blooming we thought Spring was here, but we were wrong! It's cold and miserable in GB with snow in various unlucky places. What's it like in the Creuse now?

Annik

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. (Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.)" Groucho Marx
Annik
Jun 2007
by rayh • Thu 01 Apr 2010 13:30

Maybe those "old wifes" knew a thing or two

"Ne'er cast a clout til May is out" :)

"Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy" - Benjamin Franklin
rayh
May 2007
by thewrights • Thu 01 Apr 2010 15:35

Well it's lovely and sunny today, Annik, but the wind's brisk, and I'm told there was some snow in the ditches on the road to Ahun from here. (I've not seen any though). Lots of April type showers moving over, and daffodils, celandines, primroses and hyacinths all in full bloom in the garden - I think it MUST be Spring!! (Though still far too early to plant anything outside of the polytunnel!)

Michelle

"When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hang on." - Thomas Jefferson
thewrights
Oct 2007
by Annik • Fri 02 Apr 2010 11:14

I suppose I should have expected the cold snap. When we went house-hunting on April 1, 1970, it snowed - to our amazement - and I have noted that this seems to happen most years, even though it feels most unseasonal.

Keep your thermal underwear on!

Annik

Annik
Jun 2007
by virtdave • Fri 02 Apr 2010 17:45

A few years ago, there was enough snow to stick on the ground on May 8, in St-Georges-Nigremont. The papers headlined "Les giboulées de mai". And local folks recommend not setting out plants until after the Saints de glace.

virtdave
Sep 2008
by TournesolKate • Fri 02 Apr 2010 17:48

Il pleut comme les vaches qui [censored]*!

*[font pi-pi]!

TournesolKate
Oct 2008
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions