What a wonderful Day !
by Goose • Fri 27 Feb 2009 13:03

What a glorious day! The first batch of the grue (that we have heard or seen this year) have flown over on their way back to Europe and further north after their winter in the warmer climes - which heralds the apprehensive (?) arrival of Spring; One of our pet geese (Baby) ( who is 5 years old ) has today laid the first egg of this year and - we sat on our grassy hump opposite the kitchen door in the sunshine to eat our lunch.

It was 19.5C yesterday afternoon but we were a bit too busy to sit outside, though we had an enjoyable dog-walk later on. I don't know what the temperature will reach by mid-afternoon today (it's almost 1pm at the moment)but it feels like Spring is on its way.

Goose

Goose
Mar 2005
Re: What a wonderful Day !
by TournesolKate • Fri 27 Feb 2009 14:21

I saw the grue too, I was lucky enough to be outside, hanging out the washing at just the right moment.
I'll keep a look out for more this afternoon, while I'm digging my veggie patch.

TournesolKate
Oct 2008
by Ann-et-Steve • Fri 27 Feb 2009 15:07

Whilst on the Gueret to Anzeme road, on Tuesday 17th Feb., we saw a flock of about 30 grues, slowly heading N.E. It must be a good sign!

Steve

Ann-et-Steve
Mar 2008
by Ann-et-Steve • Fri 27 Feb 2009 15:08

Whilst on the Gueret to Anzeme road, on Tuesday 17th Feb., we saw a flock of about 30 grues, slowly heading N.E. It must be a good sign!

Steve

Ann-et-Steve
Mar 2008
by Ann-et-Steve • Fri 27 Feb 2009 15:08

Steve

Ann-et-Steve
Mar 2008
by Annik • Sat 28 Feb 2009 01:08

I envy you - I love watching and listening to the grues. Give them a wave from me...

Annik

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. (Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.)" Groucho Marx
Annik
Jun 2007
Temperature update
by Goose • Sat 28 Feb 2009 16:57

The temperature changes are so amazing here. This morning at 7am it was minus 0.3C. By 3pm this afternoon in our garden, it was 32C !!

We got the sun-loungers out (we have been working hard this week doing this and that around the house and garden so felt we could indulge ourselves without feeling guilty!) and dug out light summer togs, grabbed our books and relaxed in the warmth of the sunshine.

Birds chirped in the background, then a female ferral cat on heat started to call as she slunk down the little lane at the side of our garden and startled our dog into rushing round the fenced boundaries.

Hope it lasts as Terry has been pointing the front of our barns over the last three days and he needs another three or four days to complete and tomorrow is out due to James' book-swap day.

Goose

Goose
Mar 2005
by james419 • Sat 28 Feb 2009 19:59

Trouty has been baking and cleaning all day - I have been happily building a new cabin for our physco hen and her 6 chicks = wonderful how good and industrious you feel with a little sunshine

james419
Sep 2005
by Sallyd • Sat 28 Feb 2009 21:37

Hold that sunshine! Over on 14th March for a couple of weeks. A neighbour told us that the weather warms up from 19th March - perhaps a little earlier this year? We were in the Creuse a few years ago in March and experienced -6 degrees one morning and +24C later in the day!
Would love to have seen the Grue.

Make it happen!
Sallyd
Aug 2006
by Goose • Wed 04 Mar 2009 10:20

Ooooops! Spoke too soon! We have possible snow showers forecast for later today and tomorrow and again next week. Mind you, it may not happen. It's around 4C at the moment (10.15am) and drizzling.

The long-range forecast goes up to the 14th and isn't brilliant but keep your chin up, Sallyd, as it's bound to turn lovely again by the time you come down. (fingers crossed).

The year you were talking about was amazing. That March we ate our lunch in the garden in lovely hot sunshine with snow still on the ground from the previous few days.

P & C are talking about perhaps arranging a get-together when you are down, so it'd be nice to meet you and put faces to names.

Goose

Goose
Mar 2005
by TournesolKate • Wed 04 Mar 2009 10:27

How funny Goose, I see you're down at Moutier d'Ahun, we're up the hill, just beyond Ahun and it's snowing here.

I hope the sunshine comes back soon...

TournesolKate
Oct 2008
by edmoraz • Wed 04 Mar 2009 10:58

We awoke to thick snow whizzing past our bedroom window but down in Gueret it is sleet but the wind is still quite strong.

edmoraz
Feb 2008
by Goose • Wed 04 Mar 2009 11:40

Just over an hour since my earlier posting, (it's now 11.40am) the temperature has dropped to 2.4C but it is still raining steadily. It's quite windy too.

Am off downstairs now to start preparing some bacon and potato to make a frittata for lunch. Terry has been freezing in the barn all morning (working on his old car) so he needs something warm inside him!

Bye for now,

Goose

Goose
Mar 2005
Re: What a wonderful Day ! and its my birthday.
by lestroisours • Thu 05 Mar 2009 08:59

Thursday Morning 5th March.

Welcome to the land of white stuff that is, if like me, you live above the snow line. It snowed all day yesterday had showers over night and for the second year running I have snow on my birthday - Yippee!! Although bright and sunny now the forecast is for more snow.

Considering we were in the garden digging in the manure a week ago, in our tee shirts, it was a bit hard yesterday.

The sun is bright enough this morning but with a promise of more snow, it may not last.

lestroisours
Oct 2007
by Goose • Thu 05 Mar 2009 10:45

Yes, we too woke up to find a snow covering on the garden and roadsides but not very much. We are above the snow-line and often when it's snowing here at home we drive just 2 1/2 kms down the hill as far as the local farmer's complex and it's raining there.

The bright sunshine has melted much of it and Terry is out there at the front barn walls again as he started prepping and pointing last week in that gloriously warm weather and as it's warm again now (for a limited period perhaps) he wants to get it done.. He's prepping the last section that he intends to do this Spring and one more day should see it done. Luckily he's doing the front, which has sunshine from sunrise until about 3pm in the winter months before it moves round to the back.

Funny old weather.

Goose
Mar 2005
by TournesolKate • Fri 13 Mar 2009 13:35

Another day of beautiful sunshine... hope it lasts...

TournesolKate
Oct 2008
by Goose • Fri 13 Mar 2009 16:31

Yes, we've had little lizards sun-bathing on our rockery stones this afternoon - as I sunbathed with an un-put-downable book beside them!

Next few days looking good on the forecast. Sallyd will be pleased as they arrive tomorrow (see her posting above dated Feb 28.)

Goose
Mar 2005
by james419 • Fri 13 Mar 2009 18:22

Alright for some - had the Old Trout working all day - she keeps having ideas even without Mr Goose adding to her list!!!! Geese are laying like fury and 8 in incubator and already 5 laid since - Trouty wants to what book you are reading - I think she is hoping to sunbath this weekend!!!

james419
Sep 2005
by Goose • Sat 14 Mar 2009 12:08

Hi James,
The book is "Broken Angels" by Richard Montanari. I have finished it now and Terry will read it when he's finished the one he's on at the moment. Not sure if I got this from Ruth's stock or from someone else's bag!

Another lovely day though a tad hazy at the moment. Good for drying washing again.

Enjoy!

Goose

Goose
Mar 2005
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions