Are you avoiding single use plastics?
  • Yes
    100% (4)
  • No
    0% (0)

Total votes: 4

Single Use Plastic
by Dave • Mon 06 Jan 2020 12:33
France is banning the use of single use plastics starting this year. You can read a nice summary of these changes on France24. Whilst it might be possible to avoid most plastics, at least in your weekly shop, it does significantly limit your choices.

We have cut out a fair bit and try to choose products without plastic packaging; for example there are yoghurts in glass bottles, and cheese in paper and card and we choose these when appropriate and also avoid anything in expanded polystyrene trays. There's probably more we can do but it's a start.

How are you cutting out single use plastics?
Dave
Administrator
Aug 2004
Re: Single Use Plastic
by Creusebear • Sat 11 Jan 2020 18:15
Trying to but it is difficult.
We have gone back to solid soap rather than liquid soap dispensers/shower gels and I use a shampoo bar instead of liquid shampoo (Tom doesn't need to, no hair! :-D).
We have bought paper bags which I use when buying loose vegetables at the supermarket but it is not always possible - French supermarkets seem to offer biodegradable bags much more than in England.
I also started to choose things in glass containers but have heard that although glass is a recyclable alternative but it is heavier so there is more energy used to transport it, although I tend to reuse the containers for jam.
I am trying to buy more stuff in bulk and reuse all plastic bags/containers at least twice.
Small steps, hopefully in the right direction! It would be interesting to hear what others do
Creusebear
May 2007
by Ricardo • Mon 13 Jan 2020 18:37
I reuse soap dispensers transforming a bar of soap into liquid soap. Lots of demos on youtube to show how easy it is to do and how save money. Just need hot water and a bit of patience, but one bar of soap can refill a soap dispenser many times. Worth a try.
Ricardo
Jul 2009
by Creusebear • Mon 13 Jan 2020 19:44
Ooh, I love a project! Checking You Tube now!
Creusebear
May 2007
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions