Do you want the Pont Noir Directory back?
  • Yes
    95% (18)
  • No
    5% (1)

Total votes: 19

Pont Noir Directory
by Dave • Wed 08 Jan 2014 10:28

Since the migration to this new forum platform the Pont Noir Directory hasn't been available. I hope to find some time to sort that out soon, but perhaps this isn't really missed. It was difficult to keep the information up-to-date as businesses that close don't tend to let me know. Creuse News has a Directory of businesses as does AngoInfo so perhaps commercial stuff is best left to them.

Take a moment to tell us about your vote.

Dave
Administrator
Aug 2004
Re: Pont Noir Directory
by Dave • Wed 08 Jan 2014 10:31

I voted for it, but really only used the restaurant section.

Dave
Administrator
Aug 2004
by Robjelves • Wed 08 Jan 2014 23:22

I would say let the business' do the talking. I would be happy to let business' reply to the forum, obviously for free... In giving this free information they will be raising there profile and maybe there client base.
To me it's better than a static list, the more a business gets involved the more chance they have of gaining some work.

Robjelves
Dec 2013
by Dave • Thu 09 Jan 2014 09:51

I would say let the business' do the talking. I would be happy to let business' reply to the forum, obviously for free... In giving this free information they will be raising there profile and maybe there client base.
To me it's better than a static list, the more a business gets involved the more chance they have of gaining some work.
Said Robjelves
I'm not saying that I disagree entirely with this, but it has two problems. PN is essentially advert free (no dodgy Flash based graphics or Google ads or signature images etc) and it is difficult for businesses to just answer questions without essentially promoting themselves all the time. What you might end up with is an answer to all the plumbing questions but with them just essentially being "You need a plumber for that" followed by their details. There are a couple of notable exceptions to this on PN thankfully. The Directory contained all that - many of those advertising in the directory signed up to do that and never posted anything in the forums and that was fine. It is very hard for people not to recommend themselves all the time in the forums and not allowing self-recommendation was less work than fighting the determined self-promoter. Although perhaps in the end this just meant less activity.

My second problem is that you're judging the persons ability to social network, not their ability to fix your sink (or whatever) and many good people will be out working rather than answering every question about how to connect English taps to old French pipework. If you have a house here, you are likely to want to learn about local services and which are good or bad.

In addition, Pont Noir isn't a "go to place" for these sort of questions. It's mostly about the Creuse. The Directory was entirely related to that since you had to be registered in the Creuse to have an entry. Nothing wrong with asking about plumbing questions on Pont Noir, but other forums will have more expert advice because they have plumbers from all over France, for example.

Dave
Administrator
Aug 2004
by Ceejays • Thu 09 Jan 2014 18:42

The directory did serve a purpose and for those new to this region of France was an entry level into the regional services on offer. I personally used it for translation services, fosse septique installation (which I still Require!!...a case of saving up my pennies)and new eateries including change of ownership of previously visited restaurants

If you always do what you've always done you'll always get what you always got.
Ceejays
Jan 2007
by Robjelves • Thu 09 Jan 2014 18:54

Makes sense, I have never seen the Directory so have nothing to compare it with. I can see how easily it would turn into a free for all. Wouldn't want to spoil Pont Noir as I love it the way it is.

Robjelves
Dec 2013
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions