What road route do you like best from / to the UK?
  • Rouen -> Evreux -> Chatres -> Orleans -> A20
    67% (33)
  • Paris A16 -> Versailles -> A10 -> A71
    10% (5)
  • Paris A1 -> A3 -> A10 -> A71
    6% (3)
  • Paris A1 -> BP -> A10 -> A71
    0% (0)
  • Le Mans -> Tours -> Châteauroux
    8% (4)
  • Another route
    8% (4)

Total votes: 49

What road route do you like best from / to the UK?
by Dave • Mon 30 Jan 2012 14:24

Do you favour a Paris or "Coastal" route or do you avoid the motorway all the way (I did that only once about 20 years ago and it's not at all sensible).

Dave
Administrator
Aug 2004
Re: What road route do you like best from / to the UK?
by virtdave • Mon 30 Jan 2012 17:53

My route is a bit unique since it typically starts at CDG.
From Paris, autoroute options (e.g., the A10>A71) are only slightly faster, at least for me, than taking the old national roads. South of Orléans, the N20 (now rebaptized the D2020) parallels the A71, and from it one can easily ramp onto the (free) A20 just north of Vierzon. I usually leave the A20 at Massay to pick up the D916 just south of Reuilly (where, btw, one can load up a few cases of excellent local wine). One can then continue around (not through) Issoudun on its mini-périphérique then down past La Châtre and on thru St.Sevère, if like me you are heading towards the Gouzon/Aubusson side of Creuse--or continue down the A20 if you're headed towards La Souterraine. These roads, which used to be scary, are now pretty unencumbered--the trucks are almost all on the autoroutes. I've compared the times via the autoroutes, and via the path I describe above, and the autoroute is only slightly quicker, and considerably more boring--and more expensive, both for tolls and for gas (um, petrol?). I enjoy passing through the little Solognot villages, which have delightful names, and often chance upon a nice market passing thru.
I have also a complicated but pleasant way of bypassing Orléans, which may be too peculiar for the casual tripper, but is also nice--one can leave the A10 at exit 12 and swing east thru Neuville-aux-Bois/St-Denis-de-l'Hôtel/Jargeau/La Ferté-St.Aubin to hit the D2020.....

virtdave
Sep 2008
by fieldp • Mon 30 Jan 2012 19:29

I've voted! Its the Chartres route (I'm usually coming from Dieppe) then La Chatre as I'm heading for near Jarnages. Apart from a naff bit round Dreux this is a pretty fast, direct route with enough dual carriageway/autoroute to get you there coupled with two-way stretches to keep you alert.
Patrick

Normandy, but heading for La Creuse!
fieldp
May 2009
by Annik • Tue 31 Jan 2012 00:09

I voted for the Rouen/Chartres/Orleans route; we used to then come via La Chatre, Boussac and Gouzon, but now we go across to Montlucon and back along the N145 because that is so quick and painless nowadays. It cuts at least half an hour off the journey to Rouen.

Annik

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. (Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.)" Groucho Marx
Annik
Jun 2007
by fieldp • Tue 31 Jan 2012 20:39

I voted for the Rouen/Chartres/Orleans route; we used to then come via La Chatre, Boussac and Gouzon, but now we go across to Montlucon and back along the N145 because that is so quick and painless nowadays. It cuts at least half an hour off the journey to Rouen.

Annik
Said Annik
Looking at the map, I see what you mean - I'll give it a go next time!
Patrick

Normandy, but heading for La Creuse!
fieldp
May 2009
by Ceejays • Wed 01 Feb 2012 00:50

In 2004 my initial purchasing trip was Sea France Dover to Calais then down to Paris avidly following "those" signs for Nantes/Bordeaux and breathing a sigh of relief as Paris receded into a blur in the rear view mirror as I hurtled bemused towards Orleans. Gueret here I come or so I thought...oh well that’s a whole other story, got as far as La Chatre and fell in love with the charm and beauty of the border area between L'Indre and La Creuse. Now eight years later with fourteen heavily laden Ford Transit trips under my belt I can firmly subscribe to the Dieppe Rouen Evreux Dreux Chatres Orleans Vierzon route and on, back to my beloved unspoilt piece of heaven.

If you always do what you've always done you'll always get what you always got.
Ceejays
Jan 2007
by lavaufranche • Thu 02 Feb 2012 12:49

I'm with the Rouen route but like to run along the North of the Seine before hitting the motorway - must be something to do with what happened one foggy morning in rush hour thinking I was joining the GB lane at the peage but it turned out to be CB!! - guess who didn't have a carte bancaire at the time.
The river route is more relaxing and no toll.

We will try Annik's Montlucon route and also Dave's D2020 I like the idea of missing the Orleans -Vierzon Toll. Where is a good stopping place for wine Dave?

A good stopping place for coffee is Moulin De La Garrenne - Ymonville there are nice plums growing there in the summer, and it is a useful stopping point between Chartres and Orleans

lavaufranche
Nov 2006
by virtdave • Thu 02 Feb 2012 18:19

Around Reuilly there are many vignerons who encourage travellers to stop by to sample and buy their wine--many of them are indicated by signs put up by their local association. Three which I like are Claude Lafond, near Reuilly just off the road from Massay to Reuilly, Didier Martin, about a mile south of Reuilly on the road to Issoudun, and Jacques Renaudat, west of Diou. It's a good idea to call first to make sure there's someone to greet you (you can google the name to get the phone number), tho often one can just show up unannounced.
Also, if you do take this road to Issoudun, there's a pretty nice restaurant, l'Aubergeade, in Diou, about 4 miles south of Reuilly.

virtdave
Sep 2008
by lavaufranche • Fri 03 Feb 2012 10:08

Thanks Dave some useful information which I've added to my travel notes. I don't always look for the quickest route down as we pass some beautiful areas. We enjoyed a stop last November in Chartres at the IBIS (close to the Cathedral).

lavaufranche
Nov 2006
by edmoraz • Fri 03 Feb 2012 12:35

We use the Rouen Chartres route but I get really nervous as we approach the round about hell other wise known as Chartres and Dreux. Will the French ever get the hang of roudabouts.?

edmoraz
Feb 2008
by Ricardo • Fri 03 Feb 2012 17:38

We also took the Montlucon route last year, but found it longer, although easier. This route is an advantage to anyone living south and east of Gueret, but if you reside north, the Montlucon road will take more time.

Ricardo
Jul 2009
by araucaria • Sat 04 Feb 2012 15:20

You might like to try this wrinkle on the Rouen route avoiding Nonancourt, Dreux and the Chartres racetrack.
After Rouen going south, stay on the A13 until J10 and following the signs for Rambouillet join the D191. If you use viaMichelin website, as well as Rouen add Beynes as an etape and by comparison it gives the route +5km and +3minutes. It also adds 7euros peage. I have used the route 3 times each way in the last 3 months and is now the preferred route. I do not mind the various alternatives Paris offers though Mrs A dislikes them very much and my style of driving might just contribute a little to that view! The 40km on the 191 is SLOW and takes 40min but being in the middle of the journey [540miles door to door for us] I find it a pleasant relief from 130kph on most of the rest. Those 40km are quite interesting which I won't develop here as this is getting a bit long. If you are accustomed to using the Le Clerc filling station near Nonancourt, you can exchange it for the Carrefour just off the road at Rambouillet.
Going north, follow the signs for Mantes. Both directions are well marked. Only 2 items of warning if I may, the D191 is not a section to hurry but overall this 'wrinkle' takes the same time and secondly when going north, after joining the A13 at J10 approaching the peage after about 4 km, queues develop to the right as local traffic at peak times can bouchon back in the right line exiting for Mantes. Let us know what you think.....

araucaria
Jun 2005
by edmoraz • Sat 04 Feb 2012 16:17

The other half is studying the route as we speak, we are over in March so will give it a go.

edmoraz
Feb 2008
by edmoraz • Sat 17 Mar 2012 15:12

We tried your route araucaria and liked it, will be making it our normal route from now on.Thanks.

edmoraz
Feb 2008
by araucaria • Sun 18 Mar 2012 14:49

Glad you liked it. If you don't drive a grey Passat, somebody else has cottoned on already. Let's hope that not too many people try it.........

araucaria
Jun 2005
by lestroisours • Mon 19 Mar 2012 08:19

From the south we prefer to travel via Bourganeuf, St Dizier Leyrennes, Le Grand Bourg bypass, to join the N145 westbound, Handy to drop off les chats at their holiday home before joining the A20.

“It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.” ~ Charles Darwin
lestroisours
Oct 2007
by Fred23 • Sat 11 May 2013 16:58

An easy one for me, for 5 years we lived very near Versailles and so know that area very well indeed. Navigating between the major roads North and South of Paris in order to avoid traffic hotspots has become quite straightforward! But now even the Peripherique has become quite fun!

Fred23
Nov 2011
by virtdave • Sun 12 May 2013 12:41

For those who find the périphérique too exciting, there's the Francilienne (aka the A104), which we take to pass around Paris on the east side. It's convenient when coming down from CDG, which we did a couple of days ago....and, totally by lucky chance, last Thursday was a day off for the truckers, because of the pont of the Ascension/May 8 holiday--French camionneurs are pretty scary--especially after 11 hours of sleepless airplane travel--and in the future I think we will try to hit such a holiday again....

virtdave
Sep 2008
by Creusebear • Sun 12 May 2013 15:44

I usually travel on a Sunday when I can for the same reason, it makes the journey a lot less traumatic - even the periferique!

Creusebear
May 2007
by Pamski • Wed 15 May 2013 16:14

We don't do the Paris route, so forgive me if this is included in the poll, but does one of those routes include the new tunnel west of Paris? Has anyone tried it and if so, what did you think?

Pamski
Sep 2011
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions