How do you heat your Creusois home (choose the largest source if more than one)?
  • Electricity
    8% (2)
  • Gas
    8% (2)
  • Oil
    8% (2)
  • Wood
    77% (20)
  • Other
    0% (0)

Total votes: 26

How do you heat your Creusois home?
by Dave • Thu 26 Jan 2012 14:01

Do you chop wood by the cord or do you just click the gas up a notch to keep warm in the depths of a Creusois winter?

Dave
Administrator
Aug 2004
Re: How do you heat your Creusois home?
by Dave • Mon 27 Feb 2012 14:18

There are no surprises here. Wood is by far the most popular source for heating fuel it seems.

Dave
Administrator
Aug 2004
by David_J • Wed 29 Feb 2012 16:49

I can't remember whether there was an option for multiple choice. It seems that am the only one heating with electricity but we also burn around 2 cordes of logs as well most winters.
Why electricity? Well the house was wired for it and the quotes for radiator (gas/oil) were around 17,000 Euros against the 4,000 it cost to buy new Storage heaters.
I can buy a lot of electricity with the 13,000 Euro difference and that calculation was based on pricing 10 years ago, well before oil and gas prices increased to the ludicrous levels of today.
No annual service, on for 24x7 as opposed to turning the heating off at night (we/most of us do/did that).
Works for me!
David

David_J
Aug 2006
by Jeanne • Wed 29 Feb 2012 17:37

We heat all our home with electric rads too and I don't think cost wise it has been any different to when we were using wood and electric.

One concerning thing I noticed this year was the announcement of the pollution levels at Gueret caused by the use of wood burners.

Jeanne
Jun 2010
by David_J • Wed 29 Feb 2012 17:40

Poor ole Gueret

David_J
Aug 2006
by virtdave • Wed 29 Feb 2012 23:30

Our only heat in Creuse, other than a tiny bathroom electric heater, is wood. And here in California, we have a quite efficient (Vermont Castings! USA! USA!) fireplace. It does get chilly here, but nothing like has been felt in central France recently. Where we are, out on the coast, there are no controls on when we can burn wood, but inland, when the air is still, there are days when wood fires are forbidden. Modern fireplaces are generally relatively non-polluting, due to catalyic or other smoke scrubbers.

virtdave
Sep 2008
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions