6% (1)
  • No, it's awful.
    81% (13)
  • I've not used it.
    13% (2)

Total votes: 16

French Paint. Is it any good?
by Dave • Wed 25 Jan 2012 15:21

French paint (especially emulsion) seems like it should work the same way as UK paint. It comes in a big tub, smells a bit like paint and if you stir it is feels a bit like paint. Dip your brush in and you'd be convinced that it is a bit like paint. That is, right up to the point that you try to use it as paint. It's then that you realise that all is not the same product at all.

There are those that think French paint is better and there are those that'd rather drive back to the UK just for 5 litres or Dulux matt white for the kitchen ceiling than use it. And indeed, driving back may be cheaper. It certainly would be if only Ryanair would let you fly back with a couple of tins on your lap.

All I'll say is that it's much better than it was 15 years ago and that, yes, it still has a long way to go.

Dave
Administrator
Aug 2004
Re: French Paint. Is it any good?
by Annik • Wed 25 Jan 2012 15:48

The varnish isn't that great either. We used some exterior-grade stuff that was fantastic indoors but when used on our front and back doors just peeled off leaving streaks of pale unprotected wood. It wasn't just us, all our French neighbours' exterior varnished surfaces are equally bad.

When we came to redo the front door last year we used wood stain to change the colour of the wood and then covered it with clear British yacht varnish to protect it. I'll let you know how that fares. It was a pain to have to do the job twice over but it does look nice.

Annik

PS: Finding any wood stain was almost impossible!

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. (Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.)" Groucho Marx
Annik
Jun 2007
Re: French Paint. Is it any good?
by virtdave • Wed 25 Jan 2012 21:37

I didn't vote, since my response would have been in between 'great' and 'awful'. I woulda chosen 'often adequate, but outrageously overpriced'.

virtdave
Sep 2008
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions